Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring itunes library from pc to mac

Hi all Ive just bought my first mac and Im having trouble transferring my itunes library from my back up hard drive to my new mac.

The itunes folder with my music and apps ect moves across to itunes ok but I have another folder My music and although the music and album art appears in itunes, it cant locate the folder obviously the links are broke because the file structure is different on the mac.

Is there anyway to update the links for all the mp3's without having to do it manually for each track if not does anybody have any suggestions ideally whilst still keeping my playlists intact.

Ps my PC is currently in a coma so cant go back and mess around with that

Thanks 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 10:28 AM

14 replies

Jul 29, 2011 11:28 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi thanks for replying that doesn't work because I've transferred over my iTunes music library XML file and I dont want to start from scratch and wreck my playlists and also cause conflicts with my iphone which I still havent synced with my new mac.

I did try file / library / organize library / consolodate files and it copied all my files from "my music" to "itunes music" but they still wont play in itunes

Jul 29, 2011 11:35 AM in response to excelcius

If your library is in the normal layout of an iTunes library folder containing an iTunes Media folder then copy the entire iTunes folder from the PC to the music folder in your profile on the Mac, either via a network or using an external hard drive. On the Mac rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library and delete the file iTunes Library Genius.itdb as this file is reported not to be cross-platform compatible, iTunes will simply rebuild it if missing.

If the library is split so that the media folders are at a separate path or if the Mobile Applications or iPod Games folders are inside the iTunes folder instead of the designated media folder then a bit more work will be required to normalise the library first. Here is a recent post describing the general process.

tt2

Jul 29, 2011 1:09 PM in response to turingtest2

hi turingtest

Thanks for the reply yeah I already did the first part basically I had on the PC the my music folder which had the itunes folder and my music folder in it and I transferred both folders over to the user / music folder on the mac via a usb hard drive. and when I started up itunes everything looked as it had done on the PC except the links to the my music folder dont work. but the ones to the itunes folder do.

I did look at your suggested solution but I'm a bit dyslexic so found it a bit hard going what Ive done is drag my itunes and my music folder to the desktop and relaunched itunes so it creates the itunes folder with the newly named "itunes media" folder in it, the old equivalent is "itunes music" what do I do now ?

Jul 29, 2011 1:27 PM in response to excelcius

Hmm, so I'm confused now. Before you can migrate the library from the PC to the Mac you need to get it organised properly on the PC. Sounds like you've broken things so first we need to reverse what you've done so far. If I have understood correctly then:

• Close iTunes
  • Rename ..\My Music\iTunes as ..\My Music\iTunes (Temp).
  • Move the original iTunes folder back to where it came from.
  • If you moved the media folder separately move that back too.

Start iTunes & test everything is working again.

Let's get those steps into this thread... I've struck through the ones I think won't apply but without more information about exactly where your library & media folders are I'm taking a punt.

1. Upgrade to the new iTunes Media Organization. Use File > Library > Organize Library... Reorganize files in the folder <Media Folder>. If the option is greyed out then this has already been done.
  2. Consolidate your library with File > Library > Organize Library... Consolidate files just in case there are any files outside of the designated iTunes Media folder.
  3. Copy the contents of your current iTunes library folder into the parent folder of the media folder.
  4. Connect iTunes to the library on the external with the shift-start-iTunes method.
  5. Close iTunes and rename the media folder as iTunes Media, then start iTunes, check a track or two, then close it again. (Skip this stage if the folder already has the correct name)
  6. Rename/move the parent folder as \iTunes (or create a new folder at \iTunes and move the iTunes library files, Album Artwork & iTunes Media folders into it) then reconnect iTunes to the library with the shift-start-iTunes method.

Now the library should be in a portable layout and ready to move as given above.

If your library is in the normal layout of an iTunes library folder containing an iTunes Media folder then copy the entire iTunes folder from the PC to the music folder in your profile on the Mac, either via a network or using an external hard drive. On the Mac rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library and delete the file iTunes Library Genius.itdb as this file is reported not to be cross-platform compatible, iTunes will simply rebuild it if missing.

tt2

Jul 29, 2011 1:53 PM in response to turingtest2

I cant use my PC its in a coma lol 😉 im just using the files from a backup on a portable harddrive I did follow the above steps on my mac but still get as an example

"The song “Essense Of Life (John "00" Fleming mix)” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

when I try and play the song in itunes

Jul 29, 2011 2:18 PM in response to excelcius

Ah, got it now... So select that song and attempt to Get Info., when iTunes prompts you to locate the file, click cancel, then look at the Summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be at. Ideally you'd create the correct set of folders so that you can move the media folder around and recreate the correct path for all files in one go, however this may be easier to do on a PC, particularly if you end up with a C: somewhere in the path.

If you are really lucky then the Mac is assuming your library is in the new layout when it is actually in the old one and is looking to add an extra folder called Music somewhere in the path. E.g the file is somewhere like

..\iTunes\iTunes Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Track>

but iTunes is looking for it at

..\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Track>

If that's the case there is a preference file that can be hacked to sort it out.

tt2

Jul 29, 2011 3:03 PM in response to excelcius

That's looking suspiciously like your media started life in a Windows Media Player library and then was probably added to iTunes with the "Copy to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" option turned off. If you can hook up the drive to a Windows system then those steps ought to work.

I don't have a Mac to test things out, but again, with luck, if you were to move the folders around to create the layout shown on the right in this image it might just all decide to work...

User uploaded file

tt2

Jul 29, 2011 3:39 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for all you help I really appreciate it, your window media player observation is 100% correct 😉 I dont think Im going to get to work as is, Ive been messing with for 5 hours now when I should have been spending qaulity time with my new imac lol 😉

1) I think what I'll do if this sounds ok to you is drag the "itunes" folder to the desktop then relaunch itunes to recreate the itunes folder.

2) gather all the music together from both the "itunes music" and "my music" folder into one folder called music and place it in the "iTunes media" folder select search for music on the itunes launch screen and pick that folder.

not sure what to do for my movies iphone apps album art and playlists tho 😟

Jul 29, 2011 4:15 PM in response to excelcius

If you've got mobile apps then you've got an iOS device. The most important thing is that your library has the same "idendity" that it used to have on your old computer, even if it has completely different/rearranged content. As long as you connect iTunes to a library file transfered from your old PC you should be able to hook up your iOS devices without losing all the application settings.

So rather than drag out the iTunes library so you get a new one, use the one you've recovered from your old computer (good idea to make a backup though) and delete all the music (don't let it delete any files if it asks), then reimport from the iTunes/iTunes Media/Music folder which is where your music ought to go.

If the apps haven't survived the move you can repeat by removing all apps from iTunes and then adding in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications. Same again with Movies & TV Shows if you've got them.

If you've got any podcasts you might want to take a little more care. Depending on the file type and whether or not the feed is still active, reimporting make break the series up or not even connect separate episodes. Relinking one file at a time may be the only reliable option, however you can make a backup copy of the iTunes Library file and test out the quick way first, restoring the backup if things don't work the way you want.

iTunes doesn't use the hidden desktop.ini, thumbs.db, folder.jpg and other hidden artwork files that Windows will probably have littered throughout your media folders. It shouldn't be too hard to seek out & destroy these files. As long as the tracks had embedded artwork iTunes will rebuild the artwork cache as it imports the tracks.

tt2

Jul 30, 2011 5:35 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi mate

Did that all the tracks neatly arranged and playing 🙂 unsurprisingly it killed my playlists 😟 a few pieces of album art were missing but pulled them from itunes store.

initially my apps didnt appear so connected my iPhone as I thought they would appear when the phone was connected, auto sync unfortunately kicked in (I have since turned it off in preferences) all was going well untill stage 3 when it started to delete apps on my iphone I stopped it before it had chance to delete too much, but the next time I connected the iphone its informed me it wants to delete 11 apps. Checked my apps folder and some apps are missing but strangely not my recent downloads so my last backup on the PC must have been recently although I cant remember exactly when, is there anyway of stopping it from deleting the apps, and if possible transfer them to the mac so it doesnt attempt to do it again ?

Also it taken little bites out of my text messages on my phone a few recent text around the time I connected the iphone last night are missing, so Im a bit concerned about syncing my iPhone I need the contacts from my phone on the imac went to the info tap (steering WELL clear of checking anything in the advanced section) but is there any chance it will delete the contacts on my phone ?

Jul 30, 2011 5:56 AM in response to excelcius

Transfer purchases should restore any apps that are on the device to the library. You can always download apps again from the store, but you lose settings/data if you end up reinstalling. As I mentioned before, you proably need to reconnet the apps one at a time. Highlight an app, click Get Info, then browse to the correct file, and repeat. If there is an entry for the app then Transfer Purchases may ignore it, but if the file can't be found iTunes probably wants to delete from the device.

Not sure why anything to do with iTunes apart from restore should affect your text message history.

I sync mail & contracts with Exchange so I don't have call to play with those aspects too much, but you should be able to get iTunes to read your existing contacts into the Mac contacts application or, at the very least, leave the iPhone alone.

tt2

transferring itunes library from pc to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.