Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 update causes bluetooth to repeatedly "crash" while using headphones

I'm having severe problems with bluetooth "crashing" during headphone use, causing bluetooth to become "bluetooth not available".

This problem is very frustrating, causing me to stop using my Sony DR-BT101 headphones with my iMac. I've tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC, but the problem still persists. In fact, last night, after resetting the SMC for what seems to be the millionth time, my bluetooth became "unavailable" about 10 minutes into using my Sony headphones, or 15 minutes from the SMC reset. But It's not all bluetooth activity that causes this problem. I use my Magic Trackpad all day without any hiccups. It's only when I use the bluetooth headphones that bluetooth crashes.

But I use the term "crash" loosly, since I can't find any problems identified in the console, and the bluetooth diagnostic utility doesn't work when the bluetooth controller becomes unavailable. I'll be watching a movie with my Sony headphones when all of a sudden silence, followed by a "lost connection" message from the Magic Trackpad. I check the bluetooth icon in the menu bar, and it's "Bluetooth not available" all over again.

Does anyone have an insight as to some solution to this problem? I was hoping that the last update to 10.6.8 (HDMI) might've fixed the bluetooth problem, but no luck.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 24" C2D 3.06 GHz;1 TB HD; 8 GB RAM

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 12:42 PM

7 replies

10.6.8 update causes bluetooth to repeatedly "crash" while using headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.