Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications keep freezing in OSX 10.7

I have a mid 2009 Macbook pro 3.06Ghz intel core duo with 4gb ram and a 320gb Hdd with 75gb free.

I was getting random freezes with office when before i upgraded to Lion but now I cant run it at all and it isnt limted to Office 2011 Im getting it with Iphoto and Garageband as well, I am up to date with all my software and Ive checked the disk and permissions. I can open the programs and start but after a few seconds the beachball appears and hats it, Ive tried leaving it but an hour later its still spinning, I've also tried to creae a new user and it still occurs.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sean

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 3:40 PM

6 replies

Jul 30, 2011 12:29 AM in response to seantodd

Hi

I agree that might be my final action but I cant understand why it would be limited to certian apps, specifically Office 2011 and Ilife 11 everything else seems to run fine, this suggests to me its a common element but Im vaguely new to Macs and dont know where to start

PS I did download an app to rebuild the iphoto photo store and it crashed as well

Cheers

Sean

Jul 30, 2011 1:00 AM in response to seantodd

Open up activity monitor with one of those apps open.... On the right it should say 64 bit or nothing... if it says nothing the app is a 32 bit one... I've noticed for instance with my final cut pro 7 and aperature apps that they were constantly crashing when doing heavy tasks where as all my other apps that were 64 bit were totally fine when pushed hard... anyway, I reinstalled lion with a USB stick I made and reinstalled all my apps as 64 bit and now I have no crashing.... But I'm just curious as to whether or not the apps that are crashing for you are 32 bit... soo please respond thanks!

Jul 30, 2011 1:11 AM in response to JaEvo

Like tjk is saying, you need to back up all your data and files to an external drive (if you don't have one a 500 GB one runs about $50, and if you happen to get a seagate go flex it contains a 2.5" sata drive, you can always take the drive out of the enclosure and install it in your mac, they make 500GB to 1TB in that size and then you could put your 320GB in the enclosure...)

Anyway, after you back everything up, get ready to wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of OSX Lion.... You'll need to shutdown the mac, hold down option key and select the Recovery partition from the startup drive selection menu. After that you'll see a list of Apps you can run while in recovery. Select disk utility, select your OSX parition and then select the erase tab. Set the format to OSX Extended journal and erase it. (Once you've erased the parition everything will be gone. That's why you made the backup of your data and files. The idea here is to not use a time machine backup because whatever was wrong should return so we want to start fresh.) Now exit disk utility and select REINSTALL OSX LION from the menu. Your mac will now redownload lion from the recovery menu and reinstall it. It takes a while so unless you have a bootable USB take a nap or watch a movie.... After about 45 mins (13 mins if you have an SSD) you should now be at the WELCOME screen and registering, etc...

Jul 30, 2011 2:18 AM in response to seantodd

Hi JaEvo

It does appear that the offfice applications are not 64 bit and neither is Iphoto but then the pages i have isnt and it doesnt crash

Thanks for the detail on a reinstall, I will go that route if I cant solve this but its a pain, I've found most of my software but cant find some of the disks so I will have to find them before I start.

In the men time any other ideas to try?

Cheers

Applications keep freezing in OSX 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.