Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play *.quicktime file using quicktime player

I am trying to play a Quicktime Video File (*.quicktime) using the Quicktime player but it won't play. I hear the audio but the screen remains blank. Quicktime tells me I need an extension, but I have no idea what extension.

Also, I need to convert this file to a format that will allow me to upload the file to YouTube. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Olly

Quicktime-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 6:06 PM

2 replies

Jul 30, 2011 5:11 AM in response to oliverasus

I am trying to play a Quicktime Video File (*.quicktime) using the Quicktime player but it won't play. I hear the audio but the screen remains blank. Quicktime tells me I need an extension, but I have no idea what extension.

By definition, a QuickTime file is any data content in an MOV file container. Since any compression format compatible with the original creator's system configuration, including third-party proprietary or non-Apple supported formats like Xvid, DivX, WMV, etc,, can be wrapped in an MOV file container, you need to open the "Inspector" window to learn what specific codecs were used to create the problem file. As to extensions, these are usually 3 (or more) characters following the dot/period at the end of a file name. extensions can be visible or "invisible" depending on your system preference settings. Since extensions can be changed manually by a user, they may or may not correctly reflect the true file container which can also sometines present playing problems.

Also, I need to convert this file to a format that will allow me to upload the file to YouTube.

A file cannot be converted until such time as it can be read/played correctly on your system.

User uploaded file

Can't play *.quicktime file using quicktime player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.