Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ical default all day

when i make a new appt it seems like the default is set for all day.. is there a way to change that?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:08 PM

13 replies

Aug 26, 2011 10:42 AM in response to TMLNYC

I am having the same problem. "All Day" should be an option setting, not the default. Hope there is a way to change it.

Besides the "All Day" default, there is a "Start/End Date" issue. When I enter a new event, the "End Date" jumps ahead to the next day. Even when I am just entering hour-long events/meetings where the start and end dates should be the same. I have had to go back and re-key "End Dates" on many entries where the day was supposed to stay the same.

Also, the TIME fields are harder to use. I used to be able to type in a "Start Time" and click "AM" or "PM" and the "End Time" changed to the same selection. Now, you have to key in everything. Seems small, but it adds up to many more keystrokes in a day!

Lastly, sometimes when I sync with MM, old calendar information is pulled into my iphone--things that have not been on my calendar in years!

Hope some of these things can be fixed!

Oct 26, 2011 1:59 PM in response to elizabeth217

I agree Elizabeth. ICal before Lion was almost intuitive. If I booked an appt. at 2 pm the end date time would be 3 pm. This saved a lot of time. Now, I don't trust the program and have to double-check the information that is in the field. Sometimes the end date would be the next day. We really need to speak up about this more and hopefully Apple will provide a fix. I find ICal to be almost useless if I can't trust it to work the way it once did.

Oct 27, 2011 4:20 AM in response to firstweclean

Allow me to be more clear about how I have always used the program.

I work out of the month page because I need to see that. On the date for the appt. I double-click. A box opens that says "new event". I type jane doe Swedish (i am a massage therapist). I then click once outside of the box to set it and then click the now set appt to open the time date info box. When that opens...ALL DAY is already checked, and it never used to be like that. I uncheck it, and now type the start time, am or pm, and usually what would happen is if I typed 10am it would automatically make the finish time 11am. Sometimes, after I type in the start time it will change the finish date to the next day. So, what happens if you don't notice that, is you have a two day appt on your ical. Hmmm? All of this made me think to try booking an appt from the daily and weekly calendar. Both entries worked ok. ALL DAY was not checked. So, it is only from the monthly calendar that a checked all day box is the default. Hopefully, Apple will remedy this, in the meantime, I will be changing the way I use ICal.

Jan 20, 2012 1:11 PM in response to manahale

Thanks for the tip about working from the day or week calendar. But, like you, I usually work on the monthly calendar. And the ALL DAY defaul is VERY ANNOYING as is the fact that it sets these random long time for the end of the appointment. I don't do code, but obviously the Snow Leopard code has already been written and could be put in the next update for Lion. Please.

Feb 8, 2012 11:15 AM in response to TMLNYC

This has been driving me crazy also. I just saw this on another forum:

If you prefer to use the monthy view than you can type in your event or appt. followed by the time in parenthesis (ie. Meeting "1200") than ical will not default to all day anymore and will set your appt. up in hour increments. You will see blank "'s on your calendar after your event title but I am ok with that if I dont have to edit each event individually.

Aug 28, 2013 5:19 AM in response to TMLNYC

I just noticed something weird. I added an event on my monthly iCal display, and it was using my wife's calendar instead of mine (I have hers, mine, and ours displaying in different colors on our iCal). It didn't default with the all-day set. I changed to the "Brazee" calendar and set it. Then I double clicked a calendar item on a different date to add an event. This time it used the "Brazee" calendar, as that was the last one I created an event for. And the all day box was checked.

So one calendar has this as the default, the other doesn't. I want it never to be the default.

Oct 28, 2013 8:50 PM in response to TMLNYC

Good News ! Mavericks seems to have fixed the Default "All Day" issue

The iCal in Mavericks has a much different color and look

but even in the MONTH view you click at a approx time and you get the invitation you want

ALL DAY box is NOT Ticked

Change time in the old way by clicking the numbers

Now a small irritant crept in

There is no EDIT button

you need to click on the time and then the EDIT boxe pops up

This one is easy to get used to , I suppose

Oct 29, 2013 5:11 AM in response to Steve-1029

Hmmm, I will have to play with it some more - when I added a new event, it still was an all-day event.

I didn't figure out how to edit by myself, I had to look up the procedure.

And when I'm done creating or editing an event - there isn't an obvious way to close it. Clicking elsewhere on the calendar doesn't do it. So I end up closing iCal and then opening it to make sure my event is there.

ical default all day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.