Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to close Safari

The Quit Safari button is greyed out. How do I close Safari?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:56 PM

11 replies

Jul 29, 2011 11:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have the same problem. Command Q does not work either.

I have Safari 5.1 running on 10.6.8 on a white MacBook. Since updating to 5.1, Safari will not close. It will also prevent the Mac from closing down. The only way I can close it is going to Force Quit in the Apple menu.

This problem does not arise on my iMac with the same software and configuration.

It only arises after using Safari for a little while. For example, I can quit normally now. But will probably not be able to quit later today.

Seems like a bug in 5.1.

Aug 6, 2011 1:10 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes, I believe everyone in this thread understands how to Force Quit applications is OSX.

This thread is discussing what is certainly a bug in Apple software.

I would estimate that the "Quit Safari" menu option is grayed out

3 out of every 5 times I use it (and no, COMMAND Q doesn't work either).
There doesn't seem to be any common pattern between the instances.

Folks, what, if any, Safari extensions are you running?

I'm using

1Password 3.7.b10

Adblock 2.4.21

Reload Button 1.1

I've disabled/re-enabled these plugins with no noticable change.

"Auto Update" extensions is enabled.

I've submitted a bug report to Apple already.

Carolyn, are you experiencing this bug? Do you have any useful insight to add?

Or are you simply trolling for cheap points at 4am?

I don't want to force quit Safari every time I use it, and I shouldn't have to.

May 5, 2012 6:57 PM in response to jimfromcolorado springs

Happens frequently for me (I'm emotionally inclined to agree with the "3 out of 5" comment above, but haven't done the research to affirm this intellectually).

Additional Information

1. When this happens, I also cannot close a tab. The "button" to close a tab never appears in the tab.

2. Everything else in Safari functions perfectly. Safari is, for example, in this state right now, but I'm typing this comment in a tab that I created to search for answers to this problem.

3. I'm running Safari 5.1.5 with no extensions (so that's not the problem) on a 2-week-old Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz Core i7 running Lion 10.7.3.

How to close Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.