Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need more than 5 computers or link other accounts

Firstly let me say I love Home Sharing! BUT>>>>

We have a household with 5 iMac's, 2 MacBook Pro's 1 MacBook Air, 1 iMac G5, 1 Mac Mini, 3 iPhone 4,s, 3 iPad 2's, 4 iPod's, and an Apple TV. (Just your standard Apple Fanboy)

Here is our problem, I have an apple account, my partner has one and so does one of my kid's, we want to be able to share music (not all bought off itunes but from our CD collection) so that we can each sync our devices from either our iMac or MacBooks. but we cant. why, because I have created most of the content and I can only authorise 5 computers. This means I have to authorise a computer, move the files to that machine, then de-authorise it. This is a pian in the ***. And if I buy something for my kids like a movie, an app for their ipod touch or music, they must be authorised everytime they sync or want to watch the movie and god forbid you rebuild a computer and forget to de-Authorise it, as I did this week. I have now lost that authorisation as I cant de-authorise that machine (And have de-authorised all 5 once this year so cant do that again) So now I'm down to 4 computer authorisations. given My iMac, MacBook, Mac Mini (Media Centre) and Apple TV must remain authorised for things to work I'm stuffed.

Why cant we link our accounts to give us a toal of 15 computers???????? This is crazy APPLE! you call it home sharing, its not, its personal sharing. You need to seriously look at how you are addressing homes with many mac and other devices. for example:

It would be great if we could have a central repository for everything (ie on a NAS) and each have our own itunes library that points to the NAS. (I know we can set this up but here is the catch) and have itunes CHECK REGULARLY that we are up-to-date. SO if I add music it shows up in everyones library. (And yes I know we could all share a single library, but only one person can open it at a time) This should/could also apply to iPhoto for the same reason (we have 9 camera's in this house and everyone wants to share photos)

Sound differcult? I dont think so, Picasa does it for pictures so iPhoto could. My itunes server on my nas does this so why not iTunes.

Any ideas?????

How do we all solve this problem????

As the trend is to move to apple which have fantastic hardware and software, this will become a major problem for some (like me) real soon. APPLE get off your butt and think beyond the small single users.

BTW: We are a family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Kids) and One adult Uni-student/relative.

iMac, PC XP, PC Vista, Other OS, More Computing power than the average space mission

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 8:47 PM

There are no replies.

Need more than 5 computers or link other accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.