Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running out of RAM & Fan Running

I have been having problems with my Mac Book since around Nov. 2010 which just continue to get worse. My system (now 10.6.8) continues to gobble up RAM though no programs are running. Had 2G of RAM that was using up 75% of the RAM so upgraded to 4G of RAM, within 2 days (& after restarts) am back to the system using up around 65% of the RAM. Fan runs & computer hot for no apparent reason, with just safari & this page open. Have added Privacy for my bootcamp partition in Spotlight, still seems to have the problem. Have reset the PRAM & SCM. Anyone else with this problem?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 10:05 PM

7 replies

Jul 30, 2011 1:45 PM in response to sig

1) It is posted in the MBP forum as well , with no response.

2) Would you like to expound upon what you think my 'misconception of how my MB is using Ram' is??

3) 'It is not an OS issue' ? Based on ? As mentioned all hardware tests have come back fine. Are you suggesting the kernal & mds bloating on memory use is hardware related? I am thinking that whatever is causing the system to grab so much memory, thus causing the computer to work harder & fan to run would be the cause. Have you had a similar experience where hardware caused this issue, if so what happened, how did you test for it & correct the problem?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2011 2:03 PM in response to OnDaRoad

Please launch the Activity Monitor application and select the "System Memory" tab. Click the heading of the "Real Mem" column in the process table to sort the entries by memory usage. You may have to click it twice to get the largest value at the top. Post a screenshot of the window.

With regard to the fan-speed/heat issue, please boot in safe mode and test. Same problem? Note that some things won't work in safe mode.

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Jul 30, 2011 7:52 PM in response to OnDaRoad

Looking at your Free RAM is a useless measure, as the goal of any operating system should be to take full advantage of all the RAM it can. Otherwise it is wasting your money because you paid for something the OS is not using, and worse, it is not taking full advantage of the best resource for allowing your system to run at its faster.

The operating system should be giving RAM to any process that needs it, and if the applications do not need it, the operating system should be using that RAM for a file system cache so you can avoid very expensive disk I/O. And by expensive, I mean expensive in time, expensive in power consumption, and expensive in wear and tear on your disk drive.

On Mac OS X, you want to look at both Free and Inactive memory to see how much memory is availble for processes to use. Inactive memory is often used a a file system cache. But Inactive memory may also contain the code for a recently quit program so that if you start that program again, it can quickly be re-activated from the cached code already in memory.

As Linc has suggested, you want to look at Activity Monitor and see if there is an app or daemon that is consuming lots of Real Memory.

If you think your Mac is using too much memory, then you might also run an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal -> "sar -g 60 100" command, which should let you see your pageout activity once a minute for 100 minutes (adjust the numbers to suite your tastes). If mostly you have zero or very low numbers, you are NOT suffering from lack of RAM. If you have a few spikes, that might come from starting a new app, or switching between apps. If you have sustained pageout activity, that might indicate the work you are doing it stressing your available RAM and might benefit from running fewer concurrent apps, or getting more RAM for what you are doing.

It is very rare for the operating system itself to be the cause of excessive RAM usage. More frequently it is an app or daemon that gets memory hungry.

Also Linc's suggestion to boot in Safe Mode is an excellent idea, as that will eliminate any 3rd party drives, kernel extensions, or daemons. If the problem continues when running in Safe Mode, then that would increase your argument that it is something Apple provided. If the problem goes away when booted in Safe Mode, it tends to indicate there is a 3rd party driver, kernel extension, or daemom that is causing the problem.

Jul 31, 2011 9:13 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks Bob & Linc. I got it up to the Apple Store for a 2nd time. They decided that something could be corrupt in the System so we reinstalled SL .... so far, cross fingers & hold breath, the problem has not returned. I had been watching the Real Memory in the Activity Monitor all week but had not thought of taking a pic of what it was doing .. I will next time. Thanks for that. Had not tried the Safe Mode either so will remember that. I had created another User account & it was doing the same thing.

Appreciate the suggestions & if it happens again I can do some more picture taking & trouble shooting...

Running out of RAM & Fan Running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.