Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm showing as having a Regular Account. I want to be Admin. How?

On my MBP, I have a small problem that resists a solution.

When I go to System Preferences/Users and Groups, I notice in "Click the Lock to Make Changes" that my account is locked. This presents a problem. For some reason, my account is listed as being a Regular Account (not Administrator). As a result, any time I try to click the lock to make changes, the system asks me for an Account Name and Password.

But in a kind of Mac Catch-22. When I enter the Account Name and Password, I get a shaky-screen error (indicating that the login or password hasn't been accepted). Apparently, a Regular Account lacks sufficient privileges even to Click the Lock to Make Changes. I cannot change logins or passwords, or other Admin functions.

To make things simpler, I'm a Lion user with a Regular Account. I want it to be an Admin Account. How do I make this change?

Thanks - I hope this is an easy one!

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 11:32 PM

14 replies

Jul 30, 2011 6:55 AM in response to Poikkeus

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/users.jpg/][IMG]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7841/users.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Colin Robinson: Unfortunately, the screen is already locked, so I can't perform the changes shown.

FishComputer: "Guest User" is the only other account on my MBP.

Does this look fixable?

Jul 30, 2011 7:05 AM in response to Colin Robinson

I clicked the lock, but it asks me for my Name and Password. When I enter my Name and Password, I get a "shaky screen" which usually indicates I've entered the wrong password or information.

It's as if my "Regular User" account has insufficient privileges to move te the next step.

Unlike your pic, my "lock" at the bottom left of the screen was locked beforehand, and I can't seem to do anything with it until it's unlocked!

Thanks so far for your help.

Jul 30, 2011 7:24 AM in response to Csound1

Was there another account on this machine at any time?

CSound1: Frankly, I became aware of this issue only yesterday, when I tried to perform Admin functions (like I do on my iMac). I do recall having deleted a Regular Account before - but not an Admin Account. I'm the only user of this computer and its accounts.

Jul 30, 2011 8:16 AM in response to Poikkeus

I've tried the various suggestions - which I do appreciate - but I'm flummoxed. (Look that up in your Lion contextual dictionary.)

I have a Lion backup disk, and booted into Recovery - but the functions are limited, and do not include Admin functions like resetting passwords.

The link for resetting the original admin account password looked promising, and the info still looked valid, Lion-wise. But in each case, the system either wanted me to start from an Admin account (which I don't have, apparently) or the name of the original Admin account (which, you guessed it, I don't have).

This Monday, I'm going to pay a visit to the Genius Bar with my MBP so they can sort it out. They might have tricks I'm unaware of. I'll post here with the results, of course.

Aug 1, 2011 4:48 PM in response to Poikkeus

And to the Genius Bar, I went.

Apparently, this sitiation was so new that two guys at the Bar couldn't figure it out, but the ranking Genius came up with the solution. After some BIOS tinkering and a reboot, the gang was able to set up my MBP was an Admin - without resorting to a Clean Reinstall.

Now, I can delete files without fear!

(Maybe not a major problem, but it bothers me that some users ask solutions, but don't post the solutions or outcomes.)

I'm showing as having a Regular Account. I want to be Admin. How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.