Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Eye-Fi X2 Pro geotagging

As shown here; http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4619&p=19311#p19311 several people (including my self) have problems with the geotagging feature of Eye-Fi memory cards. The geotagging works with services as like Picasa and Flickr, but not with Aperture, iPhoto or Preview.

I have found a workaround for the problem by changing the EXIF-data in the files as mentioned in the link above. Is this a bug in Aperture or with the Eye-Fi encoding of the EXIF-information?

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 5:54 AM

15 replies

Aug 1, 2011 3:49 PM in response to Helge Rege Gårdsvoll

Interesing. I'll have our team look into it. I know for sure that we do the right thing with iPhoto. I'm also 99.9% sure that we do the right thing with Preview :-) I personally haven't used Aperture.

Can you post some images that are tagged, by Eye-Fi, where you're not seeing the tags correctly? Please use something like DropBox or point us somewhere, we could download the images, to look at the EXIF.

Thx.

Ziv.

Eye-Fi co-founder.

Aug 3, 2011 12:53 PM in response to Eye-Fi Ziv

Aloha Ziv,

Thanks for having your team looking into this. I'm a X2 Pro user with the same problem (it started about a month ago).

Just some feedback for you - this is my fourth Eye-Fi card and when I called your support about this, the guy was a *******. He employed statements like, "The Eye-Fi card is working fine, it's a known Apple problem but it's not a priority for us to address it. We may in the future, but it's really not our problem."

Uh, yeah it is. It might not be your fault, but Apple has definately made it your problem. You guys have always had GREAT support but I'm afraid it's slipping.

Which reminds me, I asked him if Eye-Fi had a support page that would publish the problem and more important, a solution when it was fixed and he got all snippy and again replied, "Why would we do that. It's not our problem. Call Apple."

Really?

Mahalo for you ear,

Michael Feeney

P.S. Message me (or reply) after you read this and I'll delete the post. My objective is to give you feedback on your staff, not slam Eye-Fi as a product or company.

Aug 3, 2011 1:15 PM in response to Eye-Fi Ziv

thanks for your reply. You can find two files here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/6937184/1/EyeFi?h=2b1060

The one with AfterFix has my fix with replacing " with '' as described in the post on the EyeFi forum. The other file is the original from Eye-Fi. The origional does not work in either Preview, iPhoto or Aperture, but the afterfix works.

Aug 25, 2011 10:25 AM in response to Bill Mosier

well that is interesting - following Helge's lead, I took a geo tagged image that had been downloaded to my computer bye eye-fi but whoes location would not be recognized by aperture and extracted the GPS information with exiftool. I then used exiftool to put the information back and imported it into aperture. now aperture recognizes the info. I added one second to each longitiude and latitude to make sure I was actually doing something.

Here's what it looks like

[MosieriMAC:~] bmosier% exiftool -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude IMG_0413.jpg

GPS Latitude : 35 deg 17' 52.00" N

GPS Longitude : 120 deg 39' 56.00" W

[MosieriMAC:~] bmosier% exiftool -GPSLatitude="35 deg 17' 51.00"" N" -GPSLongitude="120 deg 39' 57.00"" W" IMG_0413.jpg

Warning: [minor] Entries in ExifIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - IMG_0413.jpg

1 image files updated

I don't know what the warning means - maybe that the GPS info and the IFD info are inconsistent.

But it now works in Aperture!!

Obviously the format of the file has been changed in someway that Aperture now likes - but I'm to tired to look at it more.

(actually I did a diff from the output of exiftool on the two files - the main difference seems to be order and a few blank lines. I think I would have to diff the actual files - but that would be a mess)

Aug 25, 2011 10:51 AM in response to surfbumhnl

Michael,

OK, I sync'd up with Support. We're looking into it. Here is the background:

• geo used to work, with Aperture and iPhoto, pre-Lion when images were geo-tagged by the Eye-Fi Helper or through our servers
  • Something changed with Lion (Apple, are you reading this?), and now, even though we haven't changed our method of doing geo -- images don't show the geotags in iPhoto and Aperture. They are still geotagged, but Aperture and iPhoto are reading the EXIF header differently.
  • The interesting thing is that when the image are geotagged through our servers, iPhoto and Aperture do like it :-)

So we're looking into it, and will have a possible workaround for it in Eye-Fi Helper, but I don't have an ETA for you.

Helps?

Thx --

Ziv.

Aug 25, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Eye-Fi Ziv

Mahalo Ziv,

Just to echo Bill, the problem started with iPhone and Aperture PRIOR to the release of Lion.

Judging from my iPhoto data, I'm guessing the problem started the week of June 12'th. Looking back at Apple's iPhoto updates, there seems to be a "missing" update iPhoto 9.1.4 right between May 11, 2011 and July 11, 2011.

Perhaps there was a *bad* update in there in June and all of the problems weren't corrected by update 9.1.5 in July.

Just a thought.

Mahalo,

Michael Feeney

Aug 25, 2011 2:07 PM in response to surfbumhnl

following up on what Michael said, on my system as of June 14 things worked. That is importing pictures from my machine's disk into Aperture maintained the Geo information. As of June 16 Geo information was no longer imported succesfully. I note that the modification date of Eye-Fi Helper v 3.3.1 (3.3) is June 16.

- Bill

(I wish we had an equivalent to Mahalo in Hermosa Beach)

Problems with Eye-Fi X2 Pro geotagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.