Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air in clamshell mode, Dell U2711, Displayport -> Freeze on wake from sleep

I don't remember if this problem was present before I upgraded my MBA to Lion, but now, every time I use my MBA in clamshell mode connected to a Dell U2711 via a Circuit Assembly mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, the MBA freezes when I wake it from sleep. The U2711 recognizes a signal upon waking the MBA and starts to wake from sleep, but goes back to sleep after a couple of seconds. When I open the MBA's screen, it's black, sometimes with a frozen mouse pointer visible. I can hear the machine is running when I go close enough to hear the fan, but all I can do is switch it off by pressing and holding the power button for five seconds.

This happens each and every time I wake the MBA in clamshell mode when connected to the U2711. What's more is that the MBA freezes when I connect the U2711 while it's running. I can connect a Dell 3008WFP, also via the same mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, and the MBA doesn't freeze. And a 2010 17-inch MBP works flawlessly on either monitor.

I've managed to find exactly 1 thread on another forum describing this exact problem:

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

P.S.: I've checked Dell's forums and there's a sticky there stating that they don't officially test their displays with Apple "proprietary" connectors. So they're basically saying: We're including a DisplayPort connector, but, if you use it, good luck.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 12:40 AM

Whenever I connect my Dell U2711 to my MacBook Air (late 2010) it instantly freezes. This happens since I upgraded to Lion and did not happen with SnowLeopard.

34 replies

Aug 4, 2011 10:14 PM in response to ingofrommarkt schwaben

I have the exact same setup and the exact same problem as ingofrommarkt schwaben. Worked fine with Snow Leopard, but with Lion the only way to get the display to work without freezing the mac is to reboot the computer with the display already connected.

The U2711 is connected to the MBA via white-label Mini DP - DP cable.

This is a highly annoying problem and is forcing me to reboot daily.

Aug 5, 2011 6:33 AM in response to Tom-Bo-Mac

I had my 2011 MBA plugged into my Dell 2709WFP and didn't have many problems with waking in clamshell mode. Sometimes, when I clicked the spacebar on my apple keyboard, it woudn't wake, but if I clicked the Power button (on the keyboard), and then taped the space - the computer woke.

I now have a Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI so I can have audio flow through my monitor to my speakers.

Aug 8, 2011 1:37 AM in response to strandborg

You're right, it's not necessarily a wake from sleep issue. I remember plugging in the U2711 while my MacBook was running and it immediately froze. Under Snow Leopard this was - and is - not a problem.

What's interesting is that my MacBook Air under Lion has no problem with a 2008 Dell 3008WFP connected via the same cable (Mini DP to DP). So that makes two variables of this issue: Lion and the monitor.

Aug 9, 2011 12:50 PM in response to Tom-Bo-Mac

I just ordered a new adapter from Mini-Display-Port to Display-Port which I can use with the original Display-Port cable that came with the Dell. This adapter has the same issue as the MiniDP-to-DP cable, so at least the cable should not be the issue.

Hopefully there will be some fix for this issue. Even if the monitor is somehow part of the problem, the computer should not freeze just because it get's connected to a monitor. And is there was no issue with SnowLeopard, it should be possible to get around this.

Aug 15, 2011 5:59 AM in response to bentoll

I have tried the above procedure as well, same result (freeze). In fact, you don't even need to put the MBA to sleep to reproduce the problem, just connect the miniDP, disconnect, and connect again without closing the lid will also freeze the system.

Regarding the difference between 2709WFP and U2711: the latter has 2560x14xx resolution so you'll have to connect it using either displayport or dual-link dvi. Does anybody happen to have miniDP to Dual-link DVI adapter for MBA, does the same problem happen using that cable to connect the U2711 as well?

Aug 15, 2011 6:02 AM in response to bentoll

What cable are you using? any particular brand?

I just tested putting my MBA into sleep (display connected in clamshell mode)

Unplugging display \ miniDP cable

Opened Lid

MBA wouldnt resume, tried tapping spacebar, open close lid again, had to hold power

So cut, i was hanging out for this cable so i could run this U2711 at its native resolution and now my MBA locks up hahahahaha, did not expect to ever have a display cable hang my lappy.

APPLE HELP, i know one of those interns you had cutting code for Lion is responsible for this.

MacBook Air in clamshell mode, Dell U2711, Displayport -> Freeze on wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.