Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hdd that wakes up from sleep

Maybe this topic has been discussed before...

I have an MBP, i7, 13.3", Lion, model 2011.

For an external backup HDD utilizing Time Machine, I wanted to use a LaCie d2 Quadro V3 (not V2!) 1TB, FW800. Whenever the MBP went to sleep the HDD went to sleep as well and neither one would wake up again. I had to force the MBP by holding down the power button to reboot. Very annoying. If I would disconect the HDD, the computer wakes up. But when I reconnected the HDD it won't wake up at all until I switches in off-on again. Without any external HDD the MBR shows no issues at all!

Apparently, there are other users, who had the same problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196500

So I returned the otherwise nice HDD for a full refund. No problem. Nice local dealer. I actually have a LaCie d2 Quadro V2(!) 1TB, FW800 for my iMac 2010 back-up, which has a different power button (on-auto-off options), which has none of those problems.

NOW, I like to buy a differnt external HDD with FW800 with 1 or 2 TB, which will not show any of these sleep-not-waking-up issues. Any recommendations and advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 13.3", model 2011

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 8:33 AM

You can still find some V2s on line. I had the same problems with V3 plus other "improvements" I didn't like. Hmmmm...only works on the USB cable, but they don't give you one!! I will also be interested in what other drives are recommended.

4 replies

external hdd that wakes up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.