Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Screen Record Skipping randomly?

This is clearly not something that only I've experienced as this post back in 2010 was noticed by many and remained unresolved: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2511688?threadID=2511688

I would like to see why noone is able to come up with an explanation for this as it seems to me like a rather big flaw.... If I'm spending half an hour recording my art worl process on the screen and end up with a 15 minute recording... well that's annoying to say the least.

What I've found out so far:

- This is not a disk space issue

- Completely random... Can happen is a 5 minute recording or a 1 hour one.... sometimes it doesnt happen at all

Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:27 AM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2011 5:24 AM in response to farzad.taba

Hey,

I´m having issues with the quicktime screen recording in Lion as well.

1) I noticed that screen recording heats up my MBP so much that the fan has to run fast all the time. That´s annoying for i don´t use external mics. The fan noise is also recorded to the recording and really spoils everything.

2) When I start recording, it doesn´t always start immediately. Sometimes it does, sometimes I lose the first 5 secs of the speech sometimes even 10. Also I miss the way the record button disappeared to the statusbar in snow leopard. Is there anyway I can make that happen in the Lion as well?

3) Sending the screenrecording straight to iMovie ´11 from quicktime doesn´t seem to work.

Anyone able to help me with these?

Aug 1, 2011 6:57 AM in response to teemumiikkatapio

Since noone is taking a stab at it I'm going to go ahead and speculate:

It can't be completely random, it is probably a physical thing. The hard drive is constantly writing when the video is being recorded. Which means it is sensitive to shakes.. If you have music playing loud from inside your mac’s speakers that could be enough shake to interrupt the recording.

I haven’t tried this myself but try recording with absolutely no shaking or vibration and see if this gets fixed…

Aug 8, 2011 5:25 PM in response to teemumiikkatapio

I've discovered that screen recording software have difficaulty with OpenGL software... What ever that means... I disabled "OpenGL" in my Photoshop CS5 and it doesnt skip anymore. Whatever program you are using, that is probably the reason why.... something to do with the graphic engine of a given software.... I'm no expret so google openGL to find out more... good luck

Quicktime Screen Record Skipping randomly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.