7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 9:38 PM by Cowicide Moo
LeVeL5 Level 1 (20 points)

Hi Everyone,

I always do a safe boot when troubleshooting since my first MacBook with Leopard and after installing Lion in a new MacBook Pro, I don't think I'm entering safe boot mode. I mean, I press the shift key at boot time like I've done countless times before but now I think my MacBook Pro is not booting safe.

Namely: I don't see the words "Safe Boot" on the login screen, it doesn't take longer and the pinwheel is not replaced by a progress bar when booting.

Can anyone please tell me what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 15-inch / 2.2 / Early 2011
  • leroydouglas Level 6 (17,762 points)

To perform a Safe Boot, hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.

• LeVeL5 Level 1 (20 points)

Hi, leroydouglas!

That's exactly the point. I know how to do it and I've done it a lot, for years, but I don't think it's working with my fresh Lion install.

Are the cues gone (especially the red "Safe Boot" tag in the login screen)?

When I tried to run the Apple Hardware Test and couldn't start it with the "D" key, even though the "Alt" key and "Cmd+R" boot options did work, I started getting more suspicious.

I reset the PRAM and that fixed my issue.

For the record, the words "Safe Boot" on the login screen did not appear, but the progress bar instead of the pinwheel did.

• Graig Kivell Level 1 (10 points)

Hi, can you confirm that indeed you see no red text when safe Booting in Lion. I do not get the red text either. I wish it did. Thanks, Graig

Hi Graig,

I saw no red text indicating the current boot mode like it did in Snow Leopard. But you can tell because the video is very slow, invoking Spotlight does not show any results and the message "SAFE BOOT DETECTED" is logged to the Console.

• Graig Kivell Level 1 (10 points)

Thanks my friend, I see it in Console now that you have pointed it out. I wish they would put the Red wording back in.

• Cowicide Moo Level 1 (25 points)

So Lion no longer tells you it's in Safe Mode in red letter anymore?  That's a step backwards back to Panther which always annoyed me because sometimes it's difficult to remember if you need to restart or not.

Way to go backwards, Apple.  Sigh... yet another reason I'm sticking with Snow Leopard still....   sigh....