Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

power mac g3 won't boot

Hello, I'm trying to fix a Powermac G3 . I had it working but removed an old hard drive and now the fans come on but nothing else. The only mac keyboard I have is usb. My question is do I need to use a standard keyboard to reset pram and the battery is showing 2.45 on 2v on my millimeter and when it was working it gave the year '56 date on each restart. and I tried the reset at the bottom of the board. This computer belongs to a poor family that want a mac and I don't work with that many macs, I'm doing this for free so any help would be great.

Dustyknuckle

Scooter's computers

P.S. Is there any cert for apple like comptia A+

PowerMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, g3

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 9:27 PM

When you "removed an old hard drive," was this an additional drive connected to the ribbon cable, leaving just one hard drive connected? If so, and if the remaining hard drive is a Western Digital, its configuration jumper must be moved to master/single (from master w/slave present). If you replaced the original hard drive with another, the same configuration rules apply, because Cable Select isn't supported. The G3 will only recognize 128 GBs of capacity, due to the onboard IDE controller. Once installed, the hard drive will need to be formatted as a Mac OS Extended (HFS+) volume, which requires booting from the Mac OS installer disk or a bootable Mac floppy disk containing the utility "Drive Setup." I assume that this G3 is a beige model, as opposed to a Blue & White tower with native/onboard USB support. When connected to a USB PCI card, a USB keyboard isn't recognized until after the USB drivers are loaded, which is too late in the startup sequence to zap the PRAM. Additionally, the battery voltage reading is too low, and a very weak/dead internal battery can cause startup problems (as well as the incorrect date/time). The battery can be purchased here, as well as from other online dealers. You can also check any battery specialty retailers in your area, because it's used in alarm system components. Although Radio Shack carries a comparable battery, it's incredibly over-priced.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2011 9:27 PM in response to dustyknuckle

When you "removed an old hard drive," was this an additional drive connected to the ribbon cable, leaving just one hard drive connected? If so, and if the remaining hard drive is a Western Digital, its configuration jumper must be moved to master/single (from master w/slave present). If you replaced the original hard drive with another, the same configuration rules apply, because Cable Select isn't supported. The G3 will only recognize 128 GBs of capacity, due to the onboard IDE controller. Once installed, the hard drive will need to be formatted as a Mac OS Extended (HFS+) volume, which requires booting from the Mac OS installer disk or a bootable Mac floppy disk containing the utility "Drive Setup." I assume that this G3 is a beige model, as opposed to a Blue & White tower with native/onboard USB support. When connected to a USB PCI card, a USB keyboard isn't recognized until after the USB drivers are loaded, which is too late in the startup sequence to zap the PRAM. Additionally, the battery voltage reading is too low, and a very weak/dead internal battery can cause startup problems (as well as the incorrect date/time). The battery can be purchased here, as well as from other online dealers. You can also check any battery specialty retailers in your area, because it's used in alarm system components. Although Radio Shack carries a comparable battery, it's incredibly over-priced.

Aug 1, 2011 6:17 PM in response to dustyknuckle

The last Apple computer with an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) port was the 1999 Blue & White G3, so shortly after that, there was a market for USB-to-ADB adapters, for enabling connection of older ADB peripherals (keyboard, trackball, mouse, etc.) to a USB port on newer Macs. Griffin or Keyspan are the two companies that would have marketed these adapters, but I'd bet that these products have been discontinued by now. What you're looking for is the opposite type - an ADB-to-USB adapter, to connect a USB device to an ADB port. To find one today, I'd suggest eBay, but it would be easier/less expensive to get a used ADB keyboard and mouse.

power mac g3 won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.