Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Versions and Time machine

I have seen it said in a few thread, here and elswhere that

"Want to shut off versioning? Go into your Time Machine advanced preferences and shut off version lock"

Could someone please explain to me how this shuts off Versions? As I see it, unchecking this box enables permanent overwriting of your file with new Versions. Doesn't clicking the box means you can prevent new Versions? However, the minimum setting for this is 1 Day. So you only prevent Versions being stored if you create a file the day before you want to play with it... 😕

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to turn of Versions? And if this is it, could someone please explain the mechanism of how that works. It doesn't make sense to me. Thx

Time Machine Preferences > Options:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.7), 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:30 PM

Is there a way to turn of Versions?

No, the stuff you are reading in other posts is misinformation. Welcome to Apple Discussions 🙂

9 replies

Jul 30, 2011 7:47 PM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

That's what I thought, same as all those people that keep repeating the nonsense that you can turn off Resume in General prefs. The definitive answer to Resume is here. At present, it still needs someone to discover the terminal command to turn off that checkbox. I'm guessing it must be something along the lines of

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow [name of checkbok] disable | false

but I'm not sure what the checkbox is called (I've tried using the text in the box, but that don't work). I'm also not entirely sure that loginwindow is the process that controls the shutdown dialogue box.

Getting back to my own topic, 😊 there must also be a way to disable Versions. You can disable the local snapshots drive that keeps Time machine backups on your HD (Macbook's only), and I'm sure it must be possible to do it with Versions. Basically, everything on a Mac is configurable once you get into Terminal, I just don't know enough about it yet to know how to do it.

Surely, there must be people here that do?

Jul 30, 2011 8:19 PM in response to softwater

The definitive answer to Resume is here.

Well, the instructions in that article do not work with all apps - I wasn't able to get a screenshot because I was holding down Option already, but do this: launch Preview. Go to File menu, and hit either Option or Option + Command while hovering cursor over quit. The dialog will change to "quit and keep windows" - which is not what the article claims. The behavior is different with different apps. And the article repeats the same instructions with the General Pane in System Prefs, so calling those instructions nonsense is well, a bit misinformed.

You can have a look at this article re. Resume:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20083707-263/managing-mac-os-x-lions-applic ation-resume-feature/?tag=mncol;title

As for Versions, there is no other way at the moment; I'd suggest you send feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Jul 30, 2011 8:19 PM in response to softwater

Apple will never put it in the UI going by what people from the Developer program are saying, but someone will eventually write a hack for it.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Contrary to what some people might think Apple does listen to customer's polite and well-reasoned feedback. I heartily agree that Versions needs to be configurable both globally and on a per-application basis. I have sent Apple feedback on that and I encourage others to do the same. In the meantime, use applications that don't currently support Versions and Autosave.

Jul 31, 2011 1:35 AM in response to babowa

And the article repeats the same instructions with the General Pane in System Prefs, so calling those instructions nonsense is well, a bit misinformed.

No, that's not fair. I said the claim that just ticking that box turns of Resume system-wide is nonsense, which is what people all over the blogosphere keep repeating. The article I linked to points out that you first have to dothat, but its not enough. You have to also uncheck the box in the shutdown window.

Secondly, the article correctly states that when you press Option-Quit it will quit without saving windows IF you haven't unchecked the box in System Prefs > General. However, if you have already done that, then the behaviour is reversed (in other words, uncheking the box in system prefs means ordinary quit won't keep windows on quitting. However, if you do want to keep windows on a particular occasion, you don't have to go back to System Pres > general to re-enable, you just do opt-quit). Don't blame me if that's complicated, it's just the way it works!!

I agree the link you provided gives a better overview, and some more options which I hadn't seen covered by anyone else. Thx for that! 🙂

Versions and Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.