Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i convert .wmv or .avi to .mp4?

I have edited a bunch of home videos on a PC so that they are wmv and avi files. Now that I have an imac I would like to be able to watch them on the imac and on my appleTV. How do I convert these files? I bought quicktime pro thinking it would do this but I think it only converts files FROM mp4 TO other formats and not vice versa. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 4:38 AM

I bought quicktime pro thinking it would do this but I think it only converts files FROM mp4 TO other formats and not vice versa.

QT 7 Pro keys the QT 7 Player for editing and the transcoding of file formats which are compatible with your systems codec component configuration. It does not add any new codecs. Thus, if you cannot play the files in the the QT 7 Player, you will not be able to convert them using QT 7 Pro.

I have edited a bunch of home videos on a PC so that they are wmv and avi files. Now that I have an imac I would like to be able to watch them on the imac and on my appleTV. How do I convert these files?

There are many solutions here. For QT 7 Pro to convert from WMV to TV compressed files, you need the Flip4Mac WMV export codec (minimum of $29) installed on your system. For most AVI files, you would need the Perian component package installed and ensure that there are no component conflicts. If you don't are whether you use QT 7 Pro or not, the any number other work flows are possible—FFmpegX (shareware), Visual Hub (unsupported), HandBrake (free), etc. Of those mentioned, I would probably prefer HandBrake. Since it contained its own open codecs, you don't have to pay for a codec (Flip4Mac) or worry about component/app/system conflicts (Perian), and it has specific presets for both TV and TV2 exports, as well as, allowing you to create your own custom export preset(s).

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2011 4:38 AM in response to barton205

I bought quicktime pro thinking it would do this but I think it only converts files FROM mp4 TO other formats and not vice versa.

QT 7 Pro keys the QT 7 Player for editing and the transcoding of file formats which are compatible with your systems codec component configuration. It does not add any new codecs. Thus, if you cannot play the files in the the QT 7 Player, you will not be able to convert them using QT 7 Pro.

I have edited a bunch of home videos on a PC so that they are wmv and avi files. Now that I have an imac I would like to be able to watch them on the imac and on my appleTV. How do I convert these files?

There are many solutions here. For QT 7 Pro to convert from WMV to TV compressed files, you need the Flip4Mac WMV export codec (minimum of $29) installed on your system. For most AVI files, you would need the Perian component package installed and ensure that there are no component conflicts. If you don't are whether you use QT 7 Pro or not, the any number other work flows are possible—FFmpegX (shareware), Visual Hub (unsupported), HandBrake (free), etc. Of those mentioned, I would probably prefer HandBrake. Since it contained its own open codecs, you don't have to pay for a codec (Flip4Mac) or worry about component/app/system conflicts (Perian), and it has specific presets for both TV and TV2 exports, as well as, allowing you to create your own custom export preset(s).

User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2012 9:25 PM in response to barton205

Hello, this problem is not very difficult to solve a lot of software now can be converted, but can guarantee quality conversion software I've been using the Bros AVI to MP4 Mac Converter the effect is very good, high quality,you can try, and hope to be able to help you. You can google browser inside search keywords: Bros AVI to MP4 Mac Converter to find this software.

More useful information, please visit the official website:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Bros+AV I+to+MP4+Mac&btnK=

Nov 28, 2012 5:16 AM in response to barton205

There are many different converter programs you can use, but I have to agree with using VLC media player to play the files. It is standalone, which means no codecs to install, and no need to convert files. Doesn’t really make sense to have two different copies of the same thing, plus a converter program added to your computer. VLC has a basic look to it, but it is a powerful player that can play dvds and most other media types. Otherwise, you would have to install codecs for Windows Media Player to play wmv videos. I use Media Converter to convert most media files to almost any other format, including ones optimized for different gaming consoles and even to wmv.

How can i convert .wmv or .avi to .mp4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.