Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cure for crash after creating a RAID group on external drives?

I tried creating a RAID 1 mirror group on a pair of Western Digital Studio LX Firewire-attached 2 TB external drives (new), and Lion crashed with the RAID code on the stack (according to the crash report). The system always crashes the same way if I connect even one of the drives, at boot time or later. The RAID group was of the whole drives, not a pair of partitions. I was using a Mac Mini, but I expect my MacBook, also running Lion, will crash the same way, if I try to attach the drives to repartion them. I suppose I can attach the drives via USB to a Linux box to clobber the partition tables.

Is there a way to set up RAID 1 on Lion which does not lead to an immediate crash?

I have been a happy Mac user, but shipping with RAID 1 being so badly broken is really careless. I expect a lot better.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 8:49 PM

11 replies

Jun 19, 2017 7:03 AM in response to William_J_Earl

I know this is an old discussion but I'm having the same problem.

I have 2 4TB HDs that I wanted to set up as RAID to mirror each other. I went ahead and did so and now whenever they're both plugged in it crashes my Mac (OS X 1012.5 Sierra). I now see that setting it for 256kb data chunks might be the problem.

Here's the catch. If I plug one drive in the Mac will see it for about 30 seconds before it crashes. In that time I can't erase the drive as it's not an option in Disk Utility for the drive. I've tried hooking it up to a Windows machine but it's unrecognizable. Any other ideas on how I can get these drives wiped clean and start from scratch?

Jul 31, 2011 10:00 AM in response to William_J_Earl

Other threads indicated that the 256 KB block size was the issue, so I tried 128 KB (after wiping the partition tables on the drives using USB to a Linux box), and that worked. So the issue is that "creating a RAID 1 group with 256 KB block size consistent crashes in the RAID module". This is clearly a Lion bug.

I would really prefer a 1 MB block size for a 2 TB drive, to better match the track size.

Oct 15, 2011 1:28 AM in response to William_J_Earl

I can confirm this. Lion 10.7.1 - A RAID 1 mirror across two devices (4GB USB sticks) with a block size of 256k crashes the OS. Lion will continue to crash whenever it tries to mount the RAID volume.

Interestingly, if I create a RAID mirror on a second machine installed with Leopard, same specs, 256k block size etc, and then mount it on Lion I don't see the crash.

A RAID set with a 128k block size does not produce crashes.

It would be good if someone could fix this.

Dec 5, 2013 12:04 AM in response to skynet3020

I set up a mirror raid on two external USB drives, and set to 256k under osx 10.7.5 then got the full melt down

and the same every time i tried to reformat the drives.

I did notice a slight moment of time when opening disk utility before the crash!

The following worked for me.

Start the computer, insert just one of the USB or Firewire drives then open disk utility.

Here is the key point as fast as you can select the drive icon as soon as it appears on the left and hit the erase option

don't worry about the type of format select the t hit the erase button as quickly as you can and again as the prompt comes up are you sure you want to erase the disk.

Then repeat again on the second drive and then start the raid set up over again with blocks set at 128k.

Probably advised to unmount all other drives so you do not accidentally format the wrong drive given this is all about haste.

Really hope this helps and think it through as to how it relates to your set up.

Cure for crash after creating a RAID group on external drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.