Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between Final Cut Studio 2 and Final Cut X?

Hi,

I have been pondering over moving to FCP X from Studio 2. I'm not a huge user of FCP but I'm looking to develop my interest again. I've read mixed opinions about the latest version of FCP and wondered what the professionals reasons are for the apparent dislike. What's not right?

Thanks

Rich

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:51 PM

8 replies

Jul 31, 2011 12:39 AM in response to rustyintegrale

- No multicam

- No support for sharing projects.

- No support for reconnecting media.

- No way to save versions.

- No support for multiple timelines.

- No way to assign audio tracks.

- No way to output audio tracks to specific hardware.

- No custom frame sizes or rates.

- No support for RED digital cameras.

- No specified scratch disks.

- No AAF / OMF / XML / EDL.

- No support for Xsan.

- No support for pro hardware.

- No support for broadcast reference monitors.

- No way to open old projects.

- No support for control surfaces

- No Viewer window.

- No Ganging.

- No professional tape support - although that may be under Pro hardware.

- No offline/online workflow (i.e. FCX is not a "finishing" solution).

- No In/Out per clip retention.

- No ability to send a clip to Motion (i.e. no "round tripping"), so no easy way to use Motion's excellent compositing capabilities.

Color...DVD SP...Soundtrack pro are gone.

Pretty much everything is wrong.

Jul 31, 2011 12:47 AM in response to rustyintegrale

Hi there,

huge subject to answer!

Theres many reasons why FCPX is not up to the mark for many pros, but taking the inevitable first release bugs, gremlins and Apples arrogance out of the equation and its a lot to do with the fact that you cannot integrate FCPX into a collaborative workflow. ie you cant pass on your cut from FCPX onto the sound or grade/online depts for further work in any easy way. There are some limited workarounds to this but the fact remains that for pros there are products (FCP7, Avid and premiere) that do this much better at the moment, so for those of us who make a living working together in a post environment FCPX does not come up to the mark. It may do in the future, who knows, but while there are better alternative tools to use, why use a bar of soap to hammer in a nail?

That is not to say you shouldnt learn to use FCPX of course. If you have no need of further post on your projects and are happy with the interface (you can get a rough idea of what its like by playing with imovie first before you invest), then go ahead, dive in! If you shoot exclusively on HDSLR and go straight to web its not a bad choice for example. I would suggest checking out `Adobe premiere as an alternative if you're not happy with what you see, they do a free 30day trial.

As you have noted, this subject has been covered extensively and the opinions expressed out there are pretty much all valid, its really up to you to work out what you want from an editing program and make your choice of software (and theres a lot of choice out there) based on your needs and platform preference.

cheers and have fun!

Andy

ps. Shanes response whilst I was typing gives a good summary!!

Message was edited by: andy chastney

Jul 31, 2011 10:40 AM in response to Shane Ross

Shane Ross wrote:

FCS 2 does not work with Lion. It will not install. Unless you install Lion on top of your current OS.

And Ken, those work arounds work for some things, not for all. And I pretty much need all the things that are missing. FCX is not a good choice for many editing professionals.

Shane, that's crazy. FCS 2 should work with Lion, it's not exactly outdated technology...😁 Any plans for Apple to issue a fix? I'm sure as **** not gonna upgrade to Lion until I know it'll work. Running it on my Air and I like a lot of it, but hate what they've done to Mail. It's just so messy...😁

What is the difference between Final Cut Studio 2 and Final Cut X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.