Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air crashes/powers down each time it's turned on.

I replaced OS 10.6.8 on my MacBook Air with Lion 10.7 when Lion became available last week.

Last night I noticed some odd behavior -- extremely slow "genii" minimization of screens, duplications of key strokes, and other anomalies.

Then today, each time I tried to boot up, as soon as the wheel stopped spinning and the desktop became visible:

1. Several windows automatically displayed -- windows I was working on when I shutdown earlier.
  2. The dialogue box appeared with buttons for | Restart | Sleep | Cancel | Shutdown |
  3. Almost immediately, the power cut off and the screen went dark.

"Reopen windows when logging back in" was checked, so I unchecked it. As a result, the Air now powers down without displaying windows or the dialogue box. It goes black almost as soon as the Apple logo and login wheel disappear. (I'm connected to the Power Adapter, so there's no problem about power.)

I tried several remedies that have worked in the past with OS 10.6+, but they're not working now --

1. Opening in Safe Mode: the system powered down while I was logging in.
  2. Using Command-R to invoke Disk Utility: The system crashed before I could start Disk Utility.
  3. Resetting my Power Management using the Shift-Control-Option + Power. The air powered down as soon as I turned it on.

Finally, I tried reinstalling Snow Leopard using the Install stick that came with the Air, but the system died before I could initiate a new install. What's going on?

First clue: I tried the fix-errors command, fsck, in single-user mode. It logged into command line fine, bu tbefore I could invoke /sbin/ fsck -fy as usual, a line appeared

: / root# AppleMCP89TMSpowerGatingdown(0)done

and the system died. Did something actually "power-gate down"? What's that mean? (MCP89 is an Nvidia video chip.)

Second clue: When I disconnected the Air's Power Adapter because of a lightning storm outside, the Air rebooted and then died, rebooted and died, etc. (I'm typing these comments on my Pro, of course.) It only stopped when I shut the lid.

Thanks very much for your knowledge, expertise, and suggestions for how to restore my Air or if it's a hardware problem, how bad it might be.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), MacAir+Lion | Apple User Since 1981

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 7:08 AM

Your battery is off it's head.

5 replies

Sep 10, 2011 1:59 PM in response to Bob Jacobson

I experienced the same. Then I reinstalled OSX Tiger, put in my Snow Leopard Disc and restored my system from Time Machine. But OS X Lion constantly makes my system crash, so after the last crash (twice a week it did) I reinstalled Snow Leopard and restored what I needed to use from my Time Machine backup manually. (including finding hidden files for my mails, adress book, calendar etc).

I look forward to Apple telling us whether OS X Lion can run on EVERY Mac with an Intel processor from 1.83 Core 2 Duo. I have 2 Gb RAM and everything worked really nice and fine until Lion crashed. And the problem seemed that it has also corrupted my backups in Time Machine when Lion tossed round my files.

Nov 12, 2011 8:34 AM in response to Bob Jacobson

I am experiencing similar behavior with my MacBook Air. Mine crashes every time I try to do a time machine back-up. I am taking it to the Apple store today to see if they can help me resolve the problem. The curious thing is that I can no longer connect to an Airport Extreme 4th gen when I boot up the system in Safe mode. This seems to be a function of safe mode because I also cannot connect to my iMac over the network. I will report back when I find out more.

MacBook Air crashes/powers down each time it's turned on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.