Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate multiple sparsebundles from my old time capsule to my new time capsule?

My old 1tb time capsule died on me last week. I bought a new 2tb model. I have put the old disk in an enclosure and I can access the data on it.

The old time capsule was used to backup three Mac's. How do I migrate the three sparebundles to the new time capsule? I want to keep all the backup histories.

I found lots of sites with tips but they all assume that the old TC was used to backup only one Mac.

I run Lion on my main Mac and all time machines were configured to backup via wireless.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 12:15 AM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2011 4:04 AM in response to Jolly Giant

The history in the backup files. I want to keep 2 years worth of backup history.

As far as I can see, for option #2 its just copy the files from the old folder (the 1Tb disk) to the same location on the 2Tb Time Capsule.

The only step by step example is to increase the size of the sparse bundles once they are in the new location.

So... - deep breath - I am willing to start from scratch. I have removed the three sparsebundles from the new location. What do I do now?

Aug 2, 2011 11:53 PM in response to Jolly Giant

It worked. Kinda. I think.

I did the steps outlined in option 3. It took 2,5 days to do it (maybe because I had already switched to wireless).

Once the copy of the files was complete I actived time machine and selected the new time capsule as my backup. It said there was no backup history. But then it started backuping. Instead of the full disk (as I thought it would do, as it said there was no backup history) it only did about 35Gb. Which was what I had expected. I had just upgraded to Lion. After that backup it immediatly started again and did a backup of 40 Mb. (Why ???).

After that was done I started time machine and all the old backups were there (eg 2010) as a test I restored a file from Jan 2010. And it worked.

So now the other two sparsebundles to do.

@Jolly Giant: Thank you for the help and advice.

How do I migrate multiple sparsebundles from my old time capsule to my new time capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.