Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Note Taking app with good archives?

I am looking for a good note taking app, formost keyboard written, but wouldn't mind handwritten. However i would rather it have more focus on keyboard than to have both and be weak in both categorys.

Or you can tell me of the best app for both keyboard and hand written.

My style is taking bunchs of notes, and want one that archives them pretty good. The Regular Notes app, is fine but it is basic with functionality.

Some of the stuff i thought would be cool is: adding pics, a good copy/paste, email sending, and maybe voice.

I already got evernote, notes, and Dragon dictation.

So i am looking for something that would be used inside a college classroom for English and also Physics, Chemistry and Math.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3, Can't wait for iOS 5

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 12:35 AM

5 replies

Jul 31, 2011 1:22 AM in response to SaltSlasher

I forgot to add that i prefer to use only iPad apps. I don't like the to blow up iPod and iPhone apps.

Right now i am debating on Awesome Note HD (+To-do/Diary) and Notes Plus - Handwriting, Note Taking, Shape Drawing and Sound Recording??

From the reviews, videos and the pictures, the Notes Plus looks/sounds amazing and more up my alley. From the photo is looks like to have a good storage.

Jul 31, 2011 9:21 AM in response to SaltSlasher

I've been testing out a LOT of note taking apps, both for my use and for my students. When you mentioned Notes Plus, I realized I hadn't tried it, so I bought it and have been testing it out.

There's a lot to like about it--it has an elegant interface, very good handwriting function, you can draw or add simple shapes, and also do voice recording. It has a "zoom" window for handwriting so you can write more precisely and fit more writing on a page. If you've seen other handwriting notes apps, the auto-advance function of this window will seem familiar; if not, you'll soon get the hang of it (writing in the gray area makes the box advance) and it auto returns when it reaches the page margin which is a real convenience.

And you can hand write or draw or type on the same page (and the text box [typing] allows cut and paste).

Plus you can work fullscreen in landscape mode. And have different types of paper for different pages.

It's archive capabilities are very good. You can have multiple notebooks and move pages around and move them to multiple notebooks. And it syncs to DropBox easily and quickly. That's a necessity for me so I can stay in sync and access everything on either my iPad or laptop.

The audio recording is a little clunky, as it's stored as a separate file, not with the note. (Notability sores the recording with the note).

Notes Plus would be a great app for class notes as it's flexible and easy to use and you can keep your notes organized in various ways and back them up and sync the on DropBox. I'd definitely use the app for lengthy meeting or lecture notes.

For my workflow, I'm using Notability for a visual journal. It has a blog like interface where you can insert images or drawings and wrap text and also add a recording. For my classroom teaching notes, I think I'll use NoteTaker HD. It has a VERY robust interface and I can insert photos (take a photo of student work and add notes, etc.) There's a large library of shapes and symbols you just drag onto the page and you can annotate an image or PDF.

Jul 31, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Elizabeth Ingraham

I checked out the guys webpage, and he seems to take his app seriously so I went with the Notes Plus.

One of the biggest reasons I chose it is cause of the massive updates he does, and his upcoming 3.0 upgrade to fix deep problems that he says he has just been patching.

I didn't use it that much last night, but it seemed to have potential.

The Awesome notes didn't have as many users, so i didn't know how often updates were gona be. I liked how they had a calender and a lot of sceduling going on, but I rather get a sceduler app seperate, cause i can make to do lists and a diary inside any of my three writing apps(Notes, Pages and Notes Plus)

Jul 31, 2011 3:40 PM in response to Elizabeth Ingraham

I might end up getting the Awesome Note also. I checked their website and it seems like its cool to.

When it comes to apps, I don't mind having a bunch of them, but I like to have a main app to do each thing.

Having two note taking apps, on top of Evernote, Notes and Pages might be to much.

So i am just going through the Busniess app reviews to find a good sceduler. I love iCalender and iOS 5's to do looks awesome. But i want something that syncs with my google calender, docs, email, and what not! At least until i convert to my iPhone 5 with iOS 5 🙂 , then i will leave gmail, especially if iCloud is as good as it looks.

Note Taking app with good archives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.