Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely slow startup in Lion

I'm experiencing the same problem that Sairoong and a few others mentioned in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191923

Grey apple logo screen comes up, then the spinner sits for about 4 minutes and my fan starts to ramp up in speed, before the background colour suddenly changes, and then the mouse cursor appears. About another minute later my desktop appears (no login page, as I have automatic login).

So overall about 5 minutes, which is appalling. And scary with the fan noise. I've tried looking into Sairoong's Network issue, and tried repairing disk permissions etc, but that is not the case here. My computer is completely vanilla, as I did a clean install of Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion. I've added nothing so Spotlight shouldn't be indexing much either.

I'm on a 2009 MacBook Pro, and really do not want to go through the process of reinstalling if I don't have to, as it took about 5 hours or so last night.

Please help!

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 3:08 AM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2011 12:53 PM in response to bruised_blood

No luck here either. Thanks anyway Richard.

Laptop now seems to be running hotter than usual also. I wonder if it may be a 3rd party software clash with Lion that has been overlooked.

I don't have many apps but I am running Mackeeper so I am going to drop them a line to see if they have any answers as the program doesn't seem to work properly on my wifes iMac (late 2009).

If I get any joy I will post it here.

Aug 5, 2011 11:25 AM in response to bruised_blood

Hello guys,

I had a reply back from Zeobit as follows;

We recommend you next actions for increasing speed of your Mac.

1) Scan your Mac with MacKeeper's Fast Cleanup to remove junk files and increase the system's free space

2) Then go to Login Items in MacKeeper and check if you have any unnecessary applications in the list.

3) Go to Antivirus tab in MacKeeper and disable Real-time protection.

4) Provide repair disk permissions. Go to /Application/ Utilities/ Disk Utility/. In left side list select main HDD and click "repair disk permissions". Let it complete repairing.

5) Restart your Mac

If the issue remains, launch Activity Monitor (Go -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor) and check which programs take most of CPU and Real Memory resources (by percentage and quantity of Mb).

The last one will help you to supervise and manage your Mac's performance.

If any additional help is needed, feel free to contact us back.

Have followed the instructions but is to early to tell.

Hope it helps.

Extremely slow startup in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.