Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preview "move to trash" grayed out

Hello,

when I open two images, I can't use option in menu to move it to trash because it's grayed out. Have you guys anyone experienced such an issue?

Thank you for answers

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 9:23 AM

24 replies

Jul 31, 2011 10:36 AM in response to CyKi

Try this first:

Open several item or documents using Preview, make sure when Preview opens you have it in this view, as you can see you should have the 2nd from left window viewer chosen.

User uploaded file

Now selct the image in the left side of the panel and try and trash it from there using the EDIT menu or Right click it with the mouse and sent it to the trash..

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2011 10:48 AM in response to David Armstrong (SE)

Okay I have tested it with three images which all when I open there have grayed out the feature to Move To Trash (I clicked every image and checked the possibility in Edit > Move To Trash). When I open them all via Preview, I get the same view as you and from this view I can move every image to trash. If I do so, the last remaining picture can't be moved to trash although it was possible before. It's strange, isn't it? 🙂

Jul 31, 2011 10:59 AM in response to CyKi

Okay I think I finally see what you mean now, when you view a document or image one at a time with Preview you cannot trash it. This is how it has always been as far as I am aware even in Snow Leopard. When you preview multiple images or documents in the same Preview window you can select one or multiple images or documents to delete, but when you get to the last image it actually reverts to a single image preview so you cannot trash it using Preview, you can trash it only from it's original location

I think we are there now. Hope this has helped you.

🙂

Jul 31, 2011 11:38 AM in response to David Armstrong (SE)

As far as I remember I was using this feature even on one image opened, I have never used this view (where you can see multiple images) therefore I definitely was using it in Leopard. 🙂 Maybe there is some hidden configuration for Preview? Thank you for explaning, it means that the new Preview has come with this new "cool" feature 🙂

Aug 8, 2011 5:52 PM in response to david.san diego

Hi david, no I think this is how it is now in Lion.

i can't seem to find a way around it, one thing I have discovered is that when Preview is open and you are viewing documents or pictures in the "thumbnail" view you can drag and add other documents and pictures to the sidebar for viewing in the current window as well without opening another preview window. Or maybe it was in leopard already I just didn't know it!

May 18, 2012 8:33 PM in response to David Armstrong (SE)

In searching for a solution to the same problem, I just came across your answer and I'm surprised how wrong you are. In Snow Leopard, which I still have on my other computer, it is ENTIRELY possible to trash a Preview document from inside the application, inside the document. In Lion, this is not the case.

I don't know what is different about the file(s) you've been able to delete from using the "Move To Trash" command in the Edit menu, but in Lion, with the hundreds (possibly thousands) of PDF documents I have, I can't find even one that I can delete from inside the app. Move To Trash is always gray.

If you're speaking as an Apple Support Rep (I'm not sure what "SE" stands for), please find a solution to this problem that genuinely does exist. I've been using Macs since 1986 and I can tell you that this problem has nothing to do with Administrator permissions. Even if it did, it should prompt a password dialogue from the system and be done with it. There should also be a Help item for this function that offers more that telling us where it is. We're already AWARE of the command...just tell us how to make it work.

User uploaded file

in this case, any answer that includes "This is how it's always been..." is unacceptable because you're wrong, which is why you said "...as far as I'm aware." This problem exist on JPEGs as well as PDFs and, being the administrator, I have my permissions all taken care of.

This problem, as is the case with many of Apple's other unwelcome changes in Preview for Lion, is frustrating and interrupts a work flow many have come to get used to...like being able to instantly trash the document I'm in.

Please find an answer and post it. Thank you.

preview "move to trash" grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.