Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Open This media may be damaged

Since upgrading to 10.7, I can no longer export .wmv file(s) using Quicktime 10.1. I realize part of the issue is that Flip4Mac is not working properly under 10.7. However, even if I open the .wmv file in Quicktime 7 and save it in .mov format, open the .mov file in Quicktime 10.1.... The file(s) will still not export properly. I keep gettin getting the same message no matter what .mov file I try:

'Cannot Open This media may be damaged.'

Has anyone else had this same experience?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 10:37 AM

11 replies

Jul 31, 2011 12:01 PM in response to LandRoverNC

However, even if I open the .wmv file in Quicktime 7 and save it in .mov format, open the .mov file in Quicktime 10.1.... The file(s) will still not export properly. I keep gettin getting the same message no matter what .mov file I try:

'Cannot Open This media may be damaged.'

Has anyone else had this same experience?

Placing the WMV content in an MOV file container does not convert the data to a QT compatible file. It merely partially decompresses the data and places it in the new file container. If the data and/or headers are corrupted in the original file, then they will likely remain corrupt in the in the MOV file.

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2011 7:34 AM in response to LandRoverNC

Hi

I am getting a similar error message. This occurs when I attempt to use the Trim feature and select Export. Prior to the installation of Lion 10.7 my install of Quicktime worked fine with the same videos; now it does not.

I get the "Cannot Open This media may be damaged" error message.

This is happening on two computers, both of which have been upgraded to Lion.

Frustrating.

Andrew

Aug 9, 2011 8:46 AM in response to Dyrck L

I have a similar problem with quicktime file .mov. from my camera Getting the same message when trying to export to Iphoto and Imovie. This is the file and its codec.

MPEG-4, 640 x 480

μ-Law 2:1, 1 channel, 8000 Hz

I can open it in quicktime but not export. Is there any program, or converter that can fix this. Mpeg streamclip cant.

I have also upgraded to Lion.

Jan 25, 2012 7:07 AM in response to jwmcumber

I have been trying to convert a .mov file to .m4v using Quicktime 10.1 under Lion. It tells me "Cannot open. This media may be damaged" when I try to export. BTW, it plays the file fine. I copied the original file to another Mac running QT 10.0 under Snow Lepoard and it worked fine. Converted to .m4v and then dragged it into iBooks Author on the Lion Mac which was the reason I was converting.

Can anyone throw some light on the problem? Seems to be 10.1 and Lion.

Thanks,

Jack.

Apr 1, 2012 6:05 AM in response to jackcu

Similar problem for me. I have some QT files that play fine in QT 7 or the new QT Player in Lion. I edited the originals in QT 7 to trim some footage, and now I cannot export or share to iTunes using QT Player in Lion. Get the "Cannot Open This Media may be damaged" msg.

Before editing, the files will "share/export" just fine, but not once I edit them in QT 7.

Jun 25, 2012 5:17 PM in response to LandRoverNC

I just upgraded to Lion. I delayed because I was using iDisk, which I'm none too happy Apple unilatterally discontinued.

QT 10.1 won't export an MOV opened by double-click in iPhoto, to m4v for me, either, presenting the same "Cannot open..." message, first described in this thread nearly a YEAR ago. (What the heck is Apple doing?)

I didn't find any solution after some reading on the web, googling the exact message, so I went to open QT7Pro, which I had been using for this purpose under Snow Leopard. It wasn't in Applications! Lion's Migration Assistant did not copy it over from Snow Leopard. ***?

I copied it over manually, and it runs fine and allows me to trim MOVs and export them to M4V just as I had been doing. So, after some hours of hassle, I'm back to where I was with this capability, before Lion.

Now it is on to trying to recover my old email which Lion's Mail application failed to import. Another unwanted pain in the *** from Apple. Thanks amigos.

Oct 8, 2012 9:18 AM in response to LandRoverNC

Here's a trick which just worked for me.

Trim the original video. You'll have to strip out the first second or two.

1. Choose "Edit" menu, then "Trim" (Command-T)
  2. Move the left-hand slider to trim a second or two from the beginning of the video
  3. Click the yellow "Trim" button
  4. The file name at the top of the window should change from your original file name to "Untitled"
  5. Now try to "Export" using your usual settings

This worked for one files which seemed to have the exact error above. Another it didn't work for, so still experimenting with that file.

Aug 24, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Kenticus

I got this same error. I bought an album ftom the I Tunes app on my iPhone, it downloaded fine. While playing it, one of the songs stopped suddenly in the middle of it, and the next song was skipped completely. When I click on the skipped song to play it, the Cannont Open error message pops up. I'm peeved because I paid for this album and now I can't fully enjoy it. How does this get fixed?

Cannot Open This media may be damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.