Skip navigation

Converting Secondary HD to CS Fails with Error: -69853

740 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 6:45 PM by Andy MPC RSS
Andy MPC Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 31, 2011 12:26 PM

Based on the blog post on Red Sweater (http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/1935/lions-whole-disk-encryption) I tried to encrypt my secondary HD on my MacBook Pro 5,2. This is what I did:

diskutil cs convert /Volumes/SecondaryHD -passphrase ...

Then I see a "spinning wheel" and finally get this report:

Started CoreStorage operation on disk2s2 SecondaryHD

Resizing disk to fit Core Storage headers

Creating Core Storage Logical Volume Group

A problem occurred; undoing all changes

Reclaiming space formerly used by Core Storage metadata

Error: -69853: Boot file not written

Someone already mentioned that on the Red Sweater blog entry but there was no further info or help.

The /var/log/kernel.log spits out this:

Jul 31 12:08:27 Andreass-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: hfs_extendfs: will extend "SecondaryHD" by 77825 blocks

Jul 31 12:08:27 Andreass-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: hfs_extendfs: extended "SecondaryHD" to 122012668 blocks (was 121934843 blocks)

The /var/log/system.log does not report anything and the /var/log/secure.log reports this:

Jul 31 12:20:57 Andreass-MacBook-Pro com.apple.SecurityServer[40]: Succeeded authorizing right 'com.apple.DiskManagement.CoreStorage' by client '/usr/sbin/diskmanagementd' [409] for authorization created by '/usr/sbin/diskutil' [408]

My secondary disk in the orginal disk shipped with the MacBook Pro (model ST9500420ASG) and the primary disk is a SSD from OWC (mdoel OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD) which I already encrypted using the FileVault feature.

Does anyone has any pointers what to do next because most of my personal / sensitive data are on the secondary harddisk.

- Andy

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.