Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open text files

I just installed Lion.

And now whenever I try to open a text file or the text program, it crashes.

Secondly, when I try to open microsoft office files, it says it doesn't recognize "powerpc"

My MacBook is a Intel coreduo

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 4:59 PM

5 replies

Jul 31, 2011 5:06 PM in response to Andrew Bosik

Lion does not support old PowerPC applications. Your version of Office, I'm guessing, is Office 2004, which is a set of PowerPC applications. You'll need to upgrade Office to version 2011. I'm guessing the app you're trying to open text files with is also incompatible. Use the copy of TextEdit that came with Lion, or update to a newer third-party editor.

Jul 31, 2011 5:57 PM in response to Andrew Bosik

The program I'm trying to use to open my text files is the standard Apple TextEdit that comes with the OS. Which is what the text files were created with in Snow Lep. Yet it still crashes.

Hmm, that's very odd. Did you by any chance transfer an older version of TextEdit over from your previous installation? Make sure that you're opening the copy that was installed with Lion. My version of TextEdit is 1.7, what does yours say?

As far as the office files go, yes, my copy of office is an old one.

Is there a free prgram I can use the would be compatible?

Several, yes. OpenOffice, NeoOffice or LibreOffice are all free alternatives, though none will be exactly equivalent to MS Office.

I can't open text files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.