Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto

Hi. I currently have thousands of photos in iphoto seperated into events. to clear out hard drive space on my macbook pro, I would like to move all of my events pre 2011 onto a external hard drive. is there a way to do this without backing all of iphoto? i just want to move those events off of the machine.

macbook pro5,5 15, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 5:18 PM

1 - waht you are doing is NOT a backup

2 - you must have a regular backup system at all times or you will lose your photos (and other valuable files) sooner or later

3 - teh best way to move photos is using iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

LN

4 replies

Jul 31, 2011 10:09 PM in response to LarryHN

you must have a regular backup system at all times or you will lose your photos (and other valuable files) sooner or later

I do use time machine to do weekly backups to a 1Tb LaCie rugged. I just think its rediculous that without third party software, its an all or nothing deal to move photos on and off of a macbook pro. Thanks for the recomendation of the software. I will look into it.

Jul 31, 2011 11:42 PM in response to LarryHN

thanks again larry. checked out iplm and will dl in the morning. as far as time machine running all the time-never gonna happen. hourly/daily is over kill. if you could adjust the settings for time I'd be all for it but once a week suits me just fine. hourly and daily backups kind of defeats the pourpose of a laptop. IMO.

iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.