Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 is a nightmare- crashes, constant reloads and restart failures

I get constant freezes (spinning beachball) and after i force a quit, safari won't stop reloading previous sessions! How can i make it stop?

What use is tabbed browsing if it can't remember a tab without reloading all of them at inappropriate times.

safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 5:30 PM

safari won't stop reloading previous sessions! How can i make it stop?

Try this > How To Disable Lion's 'Resume' Feature - MacRumors.com

If Safari actually crashes, post a crash report so we can try and help.

How to locate a crash log:

If Safari has just crashed, press the Report button on the CrashReporter dialog box to view the crash information.

Copy/paste the entire contents of the Crash Reporter window into your reply. If the crash report dialog does not appear or the crash is hard to reproduce, crash logs can be retrieved from the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter> folder.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2011 5:30 PM in response to sarabearinaz

safari won't stop reloading previous sessions! How can i make it stop?

Try this > How To Disable Lion's 'Resume' Feature - MacRumors.com

If Safari actually crashes, post a crash report so we can try and help.

How to locate a crash log:

If Safari has just crashed, press the Report button on the CrashReporter dialog box to view the crash information.

Copy/paste the entire contents of the Crash Reporter window into your reply. If the crash report dialog does not appear or the crash is hard to reproduce, crash logs can be retrieved from the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter> folder.

Aug 2, 2011 3:14 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

well, after following the directions to de-select the "restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" box, i am even more confused. It no longer freezes up as often but it doesn't stop the restoring of windows when re-opening. The box in the system prefs doesn't change it at all. I stilll have EVERYTHING automatically re-opening.

The first thing I did upon reading another similar thread was to uninstall all safari extensions. It made no difference. It also bothers me that now, when visiting many sites, I have to listen to all those embedded ads with video, flash or sound yelling at me to click here because i have won [insert unlikely prize here.]

Aug 19, 2011 4:29 PM in response to sarabearinaz

In my case I knew there was one webpage causing trouble. Force Quit was only option. Safari would attempt reload on restart and same problem. I openned ~/Library/Safari/LastSession.plist, openned all the triangles to find the URL of offending item ( SessionWindows->Item #->TabStates->Item #->TabURL). Then went up to the containing item (Item #) and deleted it. Save. Problem solved.

Aug 21, 2011 6:32 AM in response to sarabearinaz

and now I'm not sure how going into the lastsession.plist and deleting the url that i use regularly is supposed to fix the program....

Am i supposed to not go back to a site that I used hundreds of times a week because it doesn't work well with my browser? or am I supposed to hack my system everytime the browser fails? Makes Safari a pretty unattractive option.

I'm also still bothered by the fact that despite having stated that I do NOT want safari to reload last session when I restart anything, it still does every time Safari crashes. The intent may have been that it won't reload when I start a fresh session after closing the old one, but to date (since installing the latest version) I have NEVER been able to close a session.... it always has to be force closed, thus recreating the problem that caused me to force close when I restart.

Aug 25, 2011 2:26 PM in response to sarabearinaz

In my experience the problem is the Click-To-Flash plugin/extension. I was having constant beachballs switching between tabs, always getting the Force Reload drop down alert, pages never loading, or having several tabs open and then when I switched back to another page it would be blank and have to reload which would take forever.

I originally just turned off Click to Flash in my extensions panel but it had no effect. Then I turned off all extensiosn and it still didn't help. Finally I just hit the uninstall button and the problem went away immediately and has not returned.

I can't say for sure if this is your problem, but if you have Click to Flash installed I would suggest removing it and seeing if that helps.

Aug 25, 2011 5:51 PM in response to sarabearinaz

I would also ad that I just installed the AdBlock extension which serves a similar function as Click-To-Flash and immediately the problem returned. As soon as I unistalled it I was back to normal. I definitely think it is related to third-party extensions, especially ones that are designed to block or limit certain aspects of the web page.

Safari 5.1 is a nightmare- crashes, constant reloads and restart failures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.