Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apeture 3 running slow on os lion

I have a iMac 24 Core 2 Duo with 2 MB of RAM and I just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. For the most part things are running just fine but Apeture 3.1.3 is running so slow it is almost unusable. Before the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion Apeture was running just fine, no issues.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas how to fix it? Does anyone know if Apple has posted any comments on this problem?

Thanks

iMac 24 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 6:19 PM

11 replies

Jul 31, 2011 6:42 PM in response to Leonberger

If you are searching for ApeRture advice, go over to the ApeRture discussions at https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/aperture

Notice the spelling of Aperture if you are searching or key wording.

If you only have 2GBs of RAM, then it's very likely that that is the problem. Generally, Aperture needs about 8GBs. If it worked under Snow Leopard, then you were lucky.

Aug 1, 2011 10:25 PM in response to John Kitchen

Thanks for the spelling correction ;o) Yes I will upgrade my RAM but I am not expecting much as my machine maxes out at 3GB.

I know more RAM would be ideal but under Snow Leopard Aperture was running just fine and I have been working on some large books (80 + pages) with large file format pictures with no problems.

I think there is something else going on.

Aug 2, 2011 6:26 AM in response to Leonberger

As is usual with new versions of operating systems, Lion uses more RAM than its predecessor. The fact that your system worked fine under Snow Leopard doesn't mean it will under Lion.

When Snow Leopard was released the discussions were full of complaints from owners of small RAM Macs. Today it's the same story for Lion.

You say that you think something else is going on. Do you have a theory as to what this might be and evidence to support the theory?

Aug 3, 2011 5:30 PM in response to Leonberger

I spent hours on the phone on this issue today with Apple. They clearly have a Aperture problem introduced with Lion.

I was able to get the performance back (mostly) by doing the following:

Go to a Mac with OS X 10.6.x or earlier that has the same version of Aperture on it that is on your Lion-based Mac.

Option+Cmd Click the Aperture Library

Select the 3rd option (Rebuild)

Close Aperture.

Go to the Lion-based Mac.

Delete Aperture.

Re-Install Aperture.

Run Software Update to bring it up to the latest version.

Since I have my Aperture library on an external HD, this was possible for me.

If you do not. I would try the DELETE and RELOAD Aperture steps to see if that, alone, fixes it.

But there is an update "coming".

Aug 18, 2011 1:25 AM in response to Leonberger

I have the same problem - running a macbook pro with 4gb ram. Worked fine in snow leopard and is now struggling under Lion, especially when in full screen mode. No fix with the latest update but I might also try running in 32 bit and see if that makes any difference. I'm sure that there will be an update soon but also running less other programs at the same time will probably help re memory issues.

Aug 18, 2011 6:14 AM in response to Leonberger

I think we've found 2 potential errors in Aperture (or at least in the software that supports Aperture).

1. Aperture may run in 64-bit mode on machines with 4GB or less of RAM. This could be causing a problem when it tries to access more than available RAM ram. This issue may have been fixed in OSX 10.7.1 and be why some people see their problems "fixed" by switching Aperture to 32-bit mode.
  2. Video CODECs from 3rd Parties, such as DivX, Flip4Mac and so on are NOT Lion compatible and while Aperture is trying to use them to "process" video stored in your Aperture library, they simply don't work causing the "spinning CD/Beach Ball" effect until it eventually blows up.

If I create a new library and do NOT import video into it, I see zero issues with Aperture performance and failures.

If I open an existing Aperture library that contains no video, I see zero issues with Aperture.

If I open an existing Aperture library that contains video, I see the the spinning CD/beach-ball of death.

I have a lot more than 4GB of ram on all my Mac's, so I never experienced the bug that 32-bit mode solves, but I do have a lot of short video clips stored in a realtively large (25k+ photos/videos in one library) Aperture library that I need to save.

apeture 3 running slow on os lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.