Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Data partition on Lion with Bootcamp

Hi All,

I just got a Macbook Pro with Lion pre-installed.

I wouldlike to have 3 partitions:

1 - OS X

2 - Shared Data (NTFS)

3 - Windows 7 (NTFS)

If Iinstall Windows 7 via Bootcamp, can I shrink the Bootcamp partition, and create an NTFS Data partition from within Windows, using the native Disk Management utility ? Or that newly created Data drive won't be visible from the Mac side?

I am planning to buy Paragon NTFS for Mac if this works - any problems with that on Lion?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 9:10 PM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2011 7:52 AM in response to morpheus_61

I wouldn't use Windows Data Management on any drive that has HFS+ on it; you risk corrupting the drive, making it unbootable. Get a tool like Paragon's Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite that understands both Windows partitions/NTFS and Mac partitions/HFS+. I've used this tool to successfully backup my Boot Camp partition, resize the Boot Camp partition, do defrags and other maintenance.

Nov 10, 2013 6:26 AM in response to ScuseMe

I have installed Paragon on both Mac & PC drives so they are more "compatible".

Problem arises whenver Windows wanted to update, which was every week. If I am luckly, its a reboot. If not its a total re-install.

Have any of you run into the same issue?

And for those who have 3 vol installed, how is it working out (Fat32 or Exfat)?

Shared Data partition on Lion with Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.