Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Network Login working

Hey there,

So I just bought a new iMac w/Lion and installed Server on it.

Created new users (my kids)

Created a Group (Kids)

Add kid users to group Kids.

Turned on Profile manager and applied Parent Settings to the Kids Group.

An older Mac mini. Clean install of Lion.

Go through startup and create a normal users.

Go into System Preferences -> Users & Group -> Login Options

"Join" the server.

Green Dot.

Check "Allow network users to lo in at login window".

No Love, network users Can't login.

Help?!?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Running Sever

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 8:59 PM

11 replies

Aug 6, 2011 8:24 AM in response to spike_time

You may have done this stuff, but I'm not making assumptions...

In the Server.app, you should be using Open Directory. I forget the exactnenu item name because it goes away after you set it up... but I think it's something like "Manage Network Accounts" I believe it's under the Manage menu. This willl configure your server as an Open LDAP server.

If you havn't done this step you do not have usable network accounts or gorups, so delete your local accounts.

Once you're an LDAP server creating accounts in Server app creates LDAP accounts. You'll know this by a little blue ball at the bottom-right of the user or group name's icon.

Right-click and select "Edit User" on the "Home Folder" Option select the "Users" Share versus "Local Only" (Verify, by right-clicking the user again, and selecting "Advanced Options" for Home Directory here, it should look like /Network/Servers/<YOUR_SERVER_NAME>/Users... not /Volumes/Users

Now to answer your question.

To create your users home directory, simply login TO THE SERVER as the new user. It will do the creation.

Next thing to condsider, Use Workgroup manager to configure the "Mobility" preferences of your Kids Group to use "Mobile accounts" Mobile accounts create local copies of the home directories on the client workstation The trade-off is Mobile accounts add overhead of copying back-and-forth, but they can still use the account if the machine is not connected to your server. (i.e. laptop on the road...)

Jan 12, 2012 9:32 AM in response to joe_mck

Hi Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread but i have a similar problem. I got some guidance in another thread, but no solution yet. I have a similar setup, Lion Server OD master set up through the Server.app, added users, set the user folder to users. After reading this thread, I verified the path to the network home.

Trying to log on, i get a meddage saying, "you cannot log on to the account ACCOUNTNAME because of an error", or something to that extent.

I then using Profile Manager set mobility prefs for my mac clients to create mobile accounts, but there is no difference when trying to log on. Changing the account to use local only lets me log in. Client is connected through WiFi to a TC, and so is the server.

/Hasse

Jan 13, 2012 10:26 AM in response to kjamezzz

Hi!

I aktualitet checken on that yesterday, and that was actually the problem. I changed the DNS setting on the client and I could log in! But the happiness was short lived. I did set up this user as a mobile account through settings on the device group in profile manager. But I never got the contents of the users home folder to sync and since this preference was managed it was greyed out. I deleted the user from the local computer and removed the preference to start over, and now this user cannot log on. I reinstalled the client computer but the user still cannot log on?!?! will Imhave to recreate the user to get it to work? That cannot be right? The users mailbox will be deleted with the account,right?

Jan 16, 2012 4:46 AM in response to kjamezzz

Hi!

I think the account somehow got trashed. I deleted the account, and recreated it. Now on my test machine I could log in just fine. I then created a mobile account through System Prefs and set sync settings. it works like a charm. Next step is to redo this using Profile Manager and see if the setting works that way too.

To answer your question, the home folder was/is on the server. And since I use only one machine for this user and just want to be able to keep my data on the server for backup purposes and don't roam among computers, I chose to just sync at logoff.

One question though... I get an error I have to dismiss when logging off when off the network stating the obvious, "the server cannot be found". Is that really normal? Do every mac user with mobile account get this dialog when using their laptop off-site?

Jan 28, 2012 11:33 PM in response to kjamezzz

I have a similar question to this forum..... I really need help with this for my family's business as well as piece of mind.

Does anybody have a solution for allowing a mac computer client to connect and authenticate against my mac mini OD server outside of its LAN. This is so they can access their network accounts. On the laptop at a friends house using snow leopard, I added successfully the network account server which is running at home to their system. When I log out the user accounts appear however upon passwod authentication, the screen just shakes its head.

What can be done so that my friend can be able to log in.

I could sure use some help from all you lovely people out there. Thank You.

Joe

Jan 29, 2012 5:54 AM in response to Joe Petres

Joe,

I'm not sure the exact effect you're loking for. There are two ways to login away from the home netowrk. If you want them to be actually on your network, connected to network shares, etc, then you want to use VPN, which is supported on SL, and Lion Server. I'm thinking that's overkill though, If you just want them to be able to login using their OD credentials when they are disconnected or on a different network then you want "mobile accounts"

Mobile accounts are what I use, and they're great, if less than perfect. Each user has a home directory on the network server. On log in, log out, and periodically during theit session, the the server's home directory is synchronized to the local hard drive. (as are their credentials)

Now when they are away from the home network they can log in using the cached credentials and the cached home directory and everything "just works." All their apps and files are available. Once they get home again, the sync process transfers all their new/modified files back to the server.

What makes mobile accounts less than perfect is that the login/logout sync can take intolerably long. it hates iTunes libraries, lots of big files, (I've seen it upwards of 10 minutes) and it took me months of tweaking to get the background sync to not error on files held open during program execution. (iTunes again, plus Roxio, and a couple of others.)

Can't get Network Login working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.