Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of Preview.app Signatures?

In Lion there is the new signature function in Preferences > Signatures.

But I don't want to use a webcam photo of my signature, I have a high quality SVG ready to use.

Do you guys know where Preview stores those saved signatures?

And where the plist file is that tells Preview where those saved signatures are?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 10:17 AM

I'm interested in this as well for the following reasons:

a) I don't have an isight connected to my MacPro

b) I have a high res scan of my signature I'd like to use rather than some crappy webcam shot.

c) I'd like to know where this is kept and if it is secure or not.

Anyone?

6 replies

Aug 10, 2012 3:17 PM in response to Tony T1

thank you Tony T1!

however, how does one add either .jpg or .png documents to that list of signatures, apparently stored in the .plist?

i have a couple signatures that i've saved as a .png or .jpg file for years and would like to simply add them. perhaps Apple didn't think to simply add an "Open File..." option? is there a workaround?

thanks!

8-)

bbc

Oct 15, 2012 10:06 PM in response to Tony T1

Thanks to Tony T1 for finding the file location:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Previ ew.signatures.plist

You will need to have the right key in your OSX Keychain on the machine you transfer that file to or Preview will error that it was unable to decrypt your Signatures.

In OSX 10.8.2 it's called Preview Signature Privacy.

1. I would recommend backing up your existing key first (I copied mine to a different keychain).
  2. Get info on the key on the originating computer.
  3. √ Show password.
  4. Copy the revealed password.
  5. Get info on the key on the destination computer.
  6. √ Show password.
  7. Paste the password from the originating computer.

This worked for me.

Location of Preview.app Signatures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.