1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 8:14 AM by Eric D.
Eric D. Level 2 Level 2 (185 points)

I use Cisco's VPN software to connect to my office network.  After upgrading to Lion, I've noticed that Safari is having trouble connecting to sites that previously worked without any issues.  I use Automatic Proxy Configuration in my Network settings and have it pointed to a URL where a file is located.  When I attempt to connect to a site, sometimes it connects but most of the time there is either a long pause ( 20 to 30 seconds) or it fails to connect at all.  If I contrast this to Firefox, it connects immediately to all the sites.  The big difference there is that Firefox has browser based proxy settings while Safari uses a systemwide setting.

I've reset Safari, deleted the cache, etc but that didn't make a difference.  As mentioned, this is only a problem in Lion.  It worked just fine in Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Eric D. Level 2 Level 2 (185 points)

Just wanted to repost this because it's still an issue.  I'm on VPN and can connect to any site with Firefox because the browser has a built-in proxy setting.  Safari uses the system-wide proxy setting and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  In fact, I can enter a URL in both Firefox and Safari and it will load immediately in Firefox and in Safari, it may take several minutes to load or not load at all.  Clearly Safari does not handle proxies correctly.  Anyone else notice this issue?