Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't download files

Shortly after installing Lion Safari stopped downloading files. It woked for a litle while but now all I get is a grey screen. I can download fine using Firefox. I've tried deleting cache, reseting Safari and turning off/uninstalling extensions.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:39 AM

26 replies

Aug 8, 2011 11:30 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I deleted the downloads.plist file and reset Safari, no luck. I then deleted everything in the ~/Library/Safari folder, I reset Safari, deleted all cookies then rebooted my system...still won't work. When it tries to download a file (.zip or .dmg) it puts a blue progress bar over the web address location, the screen turns dark grey.

Sometimes it will download a .dmg and put it into the download queue. I just can't figure out why most of the time it will act like the .zip or .dmg is an html file. It looks like it is trying to load a web page then it stops.

Aug 8, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Honcho2000

Delete Symantec.

It is nothing but a piece of junk. The only thing it is good at is causing problems.

Shutting it down will not prevent it from causing problem.

The only sure way to solve the problems caused by Symantec is to completely delete it.

Symantec has an uninstall procedure on their site. Probably one of the best pieces of code they have ever written.

Allan

Safari won't download files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.