Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import Canon DSLR video since Lion upgrade

I use Aperture to import video from my Canon 60d DSLR.

Since upgrading to Lion, Aperture has designated all of my Canon h.264 clips as "unsupported video format." They will play in the QuickTime X Player, but nowhere else.

iMovie used to recognize video clips imported into Aperture and add them to the events list. Any videos added since my Lion upgrade remain unrecognized.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this something either Apple or Canon have noted publicly? It's a total pain and it's verging on being a Lion deal breaker for me. I really want to be able to import my Canon clips into iMovie without jumping through hoops.

Aperture 3

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 10:56 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2011 10:07 AM in response to SdeS

SdeS,

Good idea to wait. I tend to be an early adopter on my MacBook Pro, but the other machines I use will stay on Snow Leopard for now.

It doesn't seem like a Lion/Canon incompatibility. Rather it is a more generalized issue with applications being able to handle video types. I've read reports of problems with Nikon DSLRs and Flip cameras too. There are multiple reports in these forums of the problem, but not too many, which leads me to wonder if:

1. People haven't experienced the problem yet; or
  2. The issue is related to legacy code or codec components on the affected users machines, but which doesn't impact the vast majority of Lion users.

Still, it is huge problem as I would like to use my Mac to edit HD footage shot with my DSLR (or Flip camera for that matter).

You're right, Apple obviously missed something in their beta testing, because with respect to video, Lion doesn't appear ready for prime time.

Cannot import Canon DSLR video since Lion upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.