Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory problem; both chips seem ok

I own a MacBook Pro (mid 2010) and have been getting kernel panics (during startup, I receive a gray screen with information regarding system uptime in nanoseconds). I ran the hardware test and got an error regarding memory. So I began testing:

-any of the memory chips work (no error in hardware test) when alone in the bottom slot (top slot empty)

-any of the memory chips work (no error in hardware test) when alone in the top slot (bottom slot empty)

-when both chips are present, no matter the order, I get the error during hardware test.

I'm in no way an expert, but this seems extremely weird to me, and I do not know how to proceed... Anybody???

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 11:45 AM

Are these a matched pair? Both in brand name and size?

Mac Ram is finicky and I have seen this before. Everything can be fine for a week and then kernel panic with mis-match brand.

3 replies

Aug 1, 2011 12:13 PM in response to mhdesimon

Apple Hardware Test is not definitive. Could be a hardware issue with Ram banks.

Could be in your short swap test everything seems fine however if you were to run for "one week" on one module, maybe it points to bad Ram module. I can not say.

Factory Ram Is under your warranty too. Check your status https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

My best advice:

I would take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your nearest Apple Contact Center. Visit the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, make a reservation.

Memory problem; both chips seem ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.