Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion: Automator/Script spinning progress indicator missing from menu bar

The spinning progress indicator seems to be missing from menu bar in Lion. I can't seem to find any visual indication that a workflow is running or completed, or stop the workflow if I need to. Is this a bug or are we now expected to build progress bars and add dialog confirmations to every workflow?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 11:30 AM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2011 3:30 AM in response to louiexiv

I figured it out. The spinning progress indicator is not missing in Lion; it just does not appear for all Automator types. If the Automator workflow is saved as an Application, the spinning gear will appear in the menu bar while the application is executing. If the Automator workflow is saved as a Service, the spinning gear will not appear. I have confirmed all this on two separate macs running Lion 10.7.2.

Unfortunately, once the type is chosen and the workflow is created as that type, it does not appear possible to convert from one type to another, e.g. from a Service to an Application. At least I haven't seen a way to do it. (If someone knows how to do such a conversion, please advise.) Fortunately, it is rather easy to create a new workflow as the desired type while having the other workflow type open in another window.

Lion: Automator/Script spinning progress indicator missing from menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.