Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 reloads windows unexpectedly.

Since updating to safari 5.1, I am seeing all my open windows reload. This tends to happen when I interact with one window (but I haven't figured out what specific interaction causes this bug).

I'm running under 10.6.8. Seems to have started after the 5.1 (6534.50) update to Safari.

Others seeing this as well? A fix? Know what's going on?

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 5:34 PM

11 replies

Aug 1, 2011 6:12 PM in response to jice0

Since I'm not having the same problem as you, even though I'm running the same version of Safari, it follows that your setup must be different from mine in some way. The most common cause of software problems is third-party system modifications. By booting in safe mode, you eliminate those. If the problem is not reproducible in safe mode, that means it's caused by the modifications (to oversimplify slightly.) If the problem is reproducible in safe mode, then it's caused by something else, such as your Safari data, or less likely, a corrupt OS installation.

There is a "reload page" action, but no "reload all pages" action that I know of. Pages sometimes refresh themselves automatically, an annoying Javascript feature, but if you have multiple sites open they probably wouldn't all do it, and certainly not all at the same time.

Aug 1, 2011 6:54 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes, thank you for asking. For example, how can corrupted preferences cause the browser to reload. And, maybe, how the preferences file might have become corrupted.

These symptoms seem temporally connected to my recent install of a new safari update (claiming a new engine, which suggests that a lot has changed). So, thats what's changed recently for me. I suppose that changes may have been made to the preferences file during the update.

While I am a software engineer, I don't develop Mac software, so am not that familiar. But, still hope to use my general knowledge to help diagnose.

Safari 5.1 reloads windows unexpectedly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.