Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cyrillic in iTunes

So in a previous version of iTunes all of my Russian music that is in a Cyrillic font showed up in iTunes, in Cyrillic, just fine.

Today I tried to put all my Russian mp3 CDs, which the OS can read fine, into iTunes, and iTunes converted both the tags and the file names to Greek gibberish.

If there something I need to download to fix this problem, or has Apple just decided that only some of its OS will support Cyrillic?

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Jan 18, 2006 5:36 PM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2006 7:02 PM in response to epperly

iTunes
converted both the tags and the file names to Greek
gibberish.

Are you sure it's Greek? If not, send a screenshot (click on my name for the address).

You may have some kind of bad font installed that is substituting. An extra copy of Lucida Grande found in Users/username/Library/Fonts should be dumped. Helvetica Fractions and Times Phonetic should also be removed.

May 11, 2006 5:47 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Are you sure it's Greek?

It sure is not. I also have problems with some Russian MP3 files that I download from CD's and their names show garbage like ăőňħĥ etc. I sometimes receive email messages in this gibberish that I have a hard time to convert into legible Russian - I usually must open them in Safari in order to convert. However, I have found no way to convert song names that come with MP3 files into iTunes. Can anyone help? Not that it is a terrible problem, I have just a handful of tracks that show funny names, but it is a bit nagging that I cannot figure out how to conquer them. Thanks.

May 11, 2006 6:39 AM in response to George Bazhenov II

It sure is not. I also have problems with some
Russian MP3 files that I download from CD's and their
names show garbage like ăőňħĥ etc. I sometimes
receive email messages in this gibberish that I have
a hard time to convert into legible Russian - I
usually must open them in Safari in order to convert.
However, I have found no way to convert song names
that come with MP3 files into iTunes. Can anyone
help? Not that it is a terrible problem, I have just
a handful of tracks that show funny names, but it is
a bit nagging that I cannot figure out how to conquer
them.

In iTunes the ID3 tags need to be encoded correctly. If nothing else works, you may need to type them in manually.

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/mlingos9.html#itunes

In Mail, you need to go to Message > Text Encoding and try all the Cyrillic options plus UTF-8.

May 11, 2006 7:39 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

In iTunes the ID3 tags need to be encoded correctly.
If nothing else works, you may need to type them in
manually.

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/mlingos9.html#itunes

Thanks for that, will see if I can do anything as per your advice.
In Mail, you need to go to Message > Text Encoding
and try all the Cyrillic options plus UTF-8.

Have tried all options but attachments in Russian (.txt and .rtf) still need to be tweaked in Safari. No big deal.

May 11, 2006 9:28 AM in response to George Bazhenov II

In iTunes the ID3 tags need to be encoded

correctly.
If nothing else works, you may need to type them

in
manually.

I had some fun playing with the Reverse Unicode button in iTunes but finally must encode manually. It all boils down to inventing new names for all the songs that I downloaded from an MP3 collection on a CD. Even more fun than I expected!

Jun 20, 2006 3:53 AM in response to George Bazhenov II

I don't have that many Russian CDs, but I ended up having them (and a couple Greek CDs as well) display like "ăőňħĥ" as well when track info was grabbed from Gracenote. What I ended up doing was reentering the data using the Character Palette. This can be time intensive if you have a lot. Also, I had the physical CDs so I could copy the data, so this may not be a workable solution for downloaded files for which you don't (or the web site doesn't) have the original artist info and track list. I used the Character Palette because I was not used to the Russian keyboard layout, although in retrospect I probably should have used the Russian keyboard just so I could become more familiar with it (and probably will with a couple remaining CDs I have to fix).

Cyrillic in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.