Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Quicktime 10.1 viewer adds black borders

Since updating to Lion, the Quicktime viewer adds borders to my pre-existing videos. No matter how I re-size the window the borders remain on the sides of my portrait aspect ratio videos. They played just fine (borderless) before upgrading, now the black borders cover other parts of my presentation. Anyone know how to make them go away. It's a shame that they would induce such an unelegant feature. Using Quicktime 7 for the time being, just moving the videos to the bottom of the viewing area to eleminate the controls. VLC player doesn't loop and won't allow me to drag for random sizing. Just gives me 1/2 full, double-sized, etc.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 6:21 PM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2011 4:10 AM in response to PaC

It's a shame that they would induce such an unelegant feature.

Since my videos remain "borderless" under Lion QT X playback, I don't believe this is a "unelegant feature" added by Apple. This may be yet another third-party hardware/software conflict issue. Based on the number of wierd issues cropping up, my guess is that Lion did not undergo extensive testing under real world (i.e., in conjunction with third-party) conditions before release.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2011 6:36 AM in response to PaC

And what aspect ratio are "your" videos? Landscape?

Aha! Now I see what you are getting at. Still doubt this is a deliberately "added feature" but do consider it to be a bug introduced in QT v10.1. In my opinion it is likely due to fractional aspect ratios and is a problem similar to QT 7 pixel dimension problem when width is <348 pixels. Problem may be due to the fact that portrait views are still embedded as 1280x720 files (aspect 1.78:1) even though they are being displayed as 720x1280 (aspect 1:0.56). Have not run tests to determin an exact "break point" for bug, but have observed that all mixed number apects seem to display properly. You will also observe that as QT X switches to "Full Screen" for these portrait views, that the pillaring shrinks and disappears. Would definitely sugguest others report this in QT X feedback to see if it can be fixed.

User uploaded file

The Quicktime 10.1 viewer adds black borders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.