Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pfsense & Lion server

I was reading Mac os x Administrator book and the author recommended not turning on the firewall if behind a secured router.

What are your thoughts?

I currently run Pfsense 2.0 RC3. I only have RDP open to a Windows Server Machine and VNC to my Lion Server.

If you wonder why I have a win Server, its because I require to run a windows program and I use terminal server lic for multiple connections. My main Os of choice is Mac. However I am still studing its feature to properly administer it correctly.

My setup

Mac Mini Core i7, 8gb Ram

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:04 PM

9 replies

Aug 1, 2011 9:45 PM in response to rgiraldo Orlando FL

It depends on how secure your pfsense router is. If you have something like snort running on it, you're good. But the built in firewall in os x server (even with all ports open) is good to have. It's an adaptive firewall and I've seen it throttle brute force attacks and save my poor little mini server from crumbling under the load. I think it's probably best to have on, but with all traffic allowed and allow the pfsense router to actually be the gatekeeper.

Aug 1, 2011 9:45 PM in response to rgiraldo Orlando FL

Why would I not have it enabled? (Firewall)

Because you already have one. You don't need two.

Is it not correct to say that some security is a good securty practice? Yes the router has the ports blocked is that enough?

Yes and yes. Let's say you have AFP active. You obviously want clients on the internal network to be able to connect to it, but you don't want clients on the WAN to be able to connect. They can't. That's what the router does for you. The built-in pf firewall is only useful if you want to discriminate between LAN clients. If that's the case, then you should probably be doing something with VLAN's.

Aug 1, 2011 9:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yeah after walking around and thinking of it makes sense. I am just so use of using windows server and I feel that the server should not even breath unless I allow it. What other measures would you recommend to prevent any threats or potential treats from happening???

My current Firewall Setup

In my address group 192.168-net allow all traffic, (any)??? or just leave any to allow all traffic aswell?

Thanks

Aug 1, 2011 10:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

I personally recommend leaving it on, with the ports open.

Aside from just ipfw, Apple has an adaptive firewall which provides all sorts of nifty benefits if your main firewall does not do intrusion detection (and maybe even supplement it if it does.)

http://www.malwarecity.com/community/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=b log&blogid=23&showentry=6513

Here's a little explanation. And of note, this has been reported to have been beefed up extensively in Lion. You do need the system firewall active for this adaptive security mechaism to insert temporary firewall rules to block potentially malicious activity that the OS detects. It will still show in the log that you're attempting to block certain attacks even if the firewall is off so that service is always running, though without the firewall active it never blocks anything.

Edit: changed link to a more informative article.

Pfsense & Lion server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.