Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the difference between quicktime 7 pro and quicktime x

What is the difference between quicktime 7 pro and quicktime x

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 10:17 PM

4 replies

Aug 1, 2011 11:15 PM in response to maximillian13

Only QuickTime Player can be upgraded to "Pro".

QuickTime X has some features not found even in the Pro upgrade of QuickTime Player. It can "record" the screen.

The Pro upgrade allows exports to various formats and you have control of things like data rates. QuickTime X only offers "preset" exports to a few formats.

But you can use both in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Sep 17, 2011 9:11 AM in response to maximillian13

QuickTime Pro 7 is a very useful video tool. You can make simple edits to video files, cut-n-paste multiple video files together into one, save the video or transcode it into a variety of common video formats, use it to analyze a video to see which codec it's in, and even play videos in professional settings.

QuickTime X is completely useless.

With QT X and Final Cut X, Apple has completely abandoned the professional video market. Both of these software packages are dumbed down for Windows users, and are intentionally designed to anger and alienate the professional user that has come to rely on Apple software for their video needs over the last 20 years. Final Cut X is really just iMoviePro. If I wanted iMovie, I'd use iMovie, but I need a professional video app, not a kiddie video app. Therefore I can not use FCPX.

I have work to do, under strict deadlines and budget limits. FCPX and QTX actively prevent me from getting any work done at all. Apple has left me no choice. I have to go back to Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer since these are still professional applications. Final Cut and QuickTime have been turned into kiddie-style iMovie-like apps that have no functionality whatsoever.

Apple is heading in a very disappointing direction. They have a history of cutting off legacy items without notice. They have decided that optical media is over and everything is online. But my clients don't have that luxury. I still have to deliver products on DVD and increasingly Blu-Ray. Apple's obstinate refusal to support Blu-Ray has cost me clients, and I've had to resort to third-party software and hardware.

Apple has abandoned the professional video market.

Apr 25, 2014 11:25 AM in response to maximillian13

· Quicktime x is a rather useless video player for pure "home users"

· Quicktime 7 pro is still one of the best pieces of software Apple has ever made and one of the last pieces that is really usefull for professionals… I truely hope it will never be discontinued! It has some minor downsides, but is a very capable and as I find so far unmatched tool for everyday work.

what is the difference between quicktime 7 pro and quicktime x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.