Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OX X Lion freeze after wake-up

Hello,

I've installed Lion for one week. Runs fine except when waking up from "sleep" mode. (NL: sluimer) I can't determine what causes this behaviour. Usually Chrome, Mail (2nd desktop) and Parallels Desktop are running.

Also I had once a freeze when the machine was unused for 15min. Activating resulted in a freeze. Button on the back used for off and on.

Please help me solving this issue.

Martin

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 12:09 AM

238 replies

Nov 16, 2018 12:17 PM in response to martin_w

suddenly my late 2010 MBA with 10.7.2 installed is having this problem. have had this computer for 8 months and only in the last few days did this problem start occuring.

it doesnt happen all the time, but after two or three attempts at waking up by opening the lid. i do not use TimeMachine (has always been turned off) nor do i use FileVault as ive read some posts blaming these two features. i also do not connect to an external monitor; and i only use Safari. ive ran hardware checks and all seems to be in order; and the machine works great otherwise.

I was very much tempted to re-install Lion but noticing its a common problem here i decided against going through that ordeal. will wait until 10.7.3 to see if it fixes the issue otherwise i suppose ill have to reinstall or take it back to Apple...

Aug 17, 2011 9:06 AM in response to martin_w

I've got no solution for you guys, but I have the identical problem. Lion freezes at least once a day on my brand new 27" iMac i7 when I don't think I've ever had a freeze-up with any other version of OSX.

Chrome is definitely not the culprit, as I do not have it installed. However, it only freezes when I'm on the web with Safari - specifically, when a video or flash animation is loading. And yes, like other people, this typically only happens after my computer has been sleeping.

I suspect it's a video driver "not waking up" with the rest of the computer. In any case, this needs to be fixed, Apple!!!

Aug 19, 2011 6:55 AM in response to martin_w

I have the same problem on my MBP 15" mid 2010. The freeze seems to occure when i come back from sleep, time machine icon seems to backup but freeze like second or 2 after. Mac Mail run at the same time and seems to freeze when getting mail. But no problem when Time Machine was disabled. Am i the only one where this occure when Time Machine was activated? Or maybe everyone check if it's time machine who cause the freeze.

Hope it help to find the problem of freezing

Aug 23, 2011 12:04 AM in response to martin_w

Hi,

I'm also experiencing the freeze issue. I have a 27" late 2009 iMac. It happens when getting the machine out of sleep state. Sometimes it works and sometimes it hangs. I believe that the machine itself doesn't hang. It looks like the mouse, trackpad and keyboard (all connected via bluetooth) are not responding. There are some known issues with regards to hanging and sleep state, but those are mainly related to the usage of Adobe Flash. I also don't use Chrome and Parallels, so in my case the problem is not related to those software components.

I hope Apple will solve this soon. Since I have bought my iMac in 2009, I always use the sleep mode. After the upgrade to Lion I have to shutdown my machine.

Marty

Mac OX X Lion freeze after wake-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.