Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I setup a VPN on my Time Capsule?

24, Mac OS X (10.7), 13" MacBook, iPad 2, iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 2:28 AM

9 replies

Nov 27, 2011 1:23 PM in response to gonzalofromsantiago

Here's basically my situation because apple support wants nothing to do with this situation. I bought a time capsule this past fri, got it on sale at the apple store. I get home and set it up and not no problems. All accounts are set up; admins good, guest acct is good to go. Now i'm an out of the box kind of guy on all my productions.

What I really want to accomplish is use my 2T time capsule as an idisk account. I know the IP will change, which is fine. Please tell me how i can upload, download and view files on the go when not at home? That basically sums up what i need to know. I know you cant partition the drive; or format it like a regular drive but how do i gain access from it on the go. I wana store pics on it and all my stuff, ya know?

I think alot of people really want to be able to use this feature, because its out there.

Jan 26, 2012 12:00 AM in response to CX888

You can't use VPN on time Time Capsule. Time Capsule does not support VPN. In order to access american sites through xbox, you will have to setup VPN on a vpn supporting router. I recommend DDWRT router. which is easy to use. Or use a Cross Over Cable with Laptop and Xbox connected to each other.

You can find more details on each setup here http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/ps3-vpn-xbox-360-vpn

Jan 26, 2012 12:04 PM in response to gonzalofromsantiago

Is it imperative for my Internet service to provide fixed IP address in order to be able to set up a VPN to access my TC contents?

No. However it is imperative that your ISP provide you with a publically reachable IP address. Whether or not it is fixed/static or dynamic doesn't really matter.

The TC is NOT a VPN endpoint. Thus you cannot create a VPN tunnel between either a VPN server or client to the TC.

Instead, to access the TC's internal (or externally attached) HDD, you basically have to choices: 1) Use Back to my Mac if you have an active MobileMe/iCloud account, or 2) Configure the TC for port mapping to allow file service requests from the Internet to be able to reach the TC's drive(s).

Apr 8, 2014 4:22 AM in response to zMakUzr

Hello everybody! My problem is exactly that i would like to access the internal drive of the timecapsule when i am not home. I have configured Back to My Mac on the timecapsule and on the Macbook's iCloud panel, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

When i am not home I can see the TC from finder under shared, but it gets stuck if i try to click on "connect as". (which btw works perfectly when I am home)

Apple support has been very vague on the issue even though I called them two times

10.9.2 on the macbook & airport utility version 6.3.2 & apple TC 7.7.2 firmware here

Does anybody know what more i should do? (see pics below for my settings)

thank you in advance!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.