Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Addressbook client with Mac OS Server

Hi,

after installing Lion, groups are created spontaneously to the addressbook.

I use :

lion or snowleopard addressbook server (happens on both)

mac os lion clients

iphone client

ipad2 client

what happens:

groups that appear without doing any action:

- one new group called 'addressbook', and

- copies of existing groups (example: having a group 'friends', I observer suddenly 2 groups with the name 'friend' then 3,4,5 .... and so on.)

I already tried the following with no improvement:

- deleting the groups does not help, they will re-appear after a while.

- deleting ~/Library/Appl../Addressbook and re-configure client

- deleting entire addressbook and re-enter from scratch

- repairing permissions

Same constellation with only snow leopard, iphone, ipad clients works fine for long. Problem seems to be the Lion Addressbook client.

Thanks

ical addressbook-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7), Lion Server

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:03 AM

8 replies

Aug 26, 2011 10:12 AM in response to akmacix

Got it working.

In my case, I make regulary (every 2 hours) backups of UserData on the SL Server.

2 days ago I switched off spotlight on the backup destinations (external disk partitions in my case) - since then the problem did not show again.

If you had same problems, could you tell me if it worked for you.

nice day

Aug 30, 2011 10:05 PM in response to lutraruud

The problematic configuration with me was:

- I use network users with account data (home directory) on the server. (no mobile accounting)

- I make backups of the user accounts on the SL server (copying files of users home folder to a backup-destination)

- on the disk-volume used for backups (backup-destination), spotlight was active

What I did:

for every backup-destination (on SL server) I switched off spotlight -> the problem did not appear any more

To turn off spotlight use terminal command mdutil (use -i off to turn off for the volume, -E to erase existing index see manpage)

Sep 26, 2011 1:28 PM in response to akmacix

I'm not a very experienced server administrator, so I'm still not completely sure I get your solution. I don't make backups of the home folders, so I'm not sure your solution will help. I have tried the following the past weeks:

- As I have installed Lion being logged in as one of the users (not the admin account) I thought this caused the problem. I have deleted the account and made a new one, but the problem is still there.

- I deleted the connection with the AB service and copied the contacts in the local address book (which is saved in the home folder, thus on the server). The problem there is that after some days (5?) the contacts disappear.

- the above doesn't happen with all accounts, some just have the copied groups

I'm a bit lost

Sep 27, 2011 3:01 AM in response to lutraruud

Hi,

the problem you describe, seems slightly different from mine.

I never had problems with contacts disappearing, but only duplication/multiplication of existing groups.

For me, stopping spotlight indexing on backup volumes definetely stopped the problem. (to make sure, I even re-activated indexing with the result that the problem re-appeared).

I think the real problem is a bug in Lion (AB-client), as the problem only appears as soon as one Lion-Client gets on the network. With only SL-clients, there's no problem.

Bye

Mar 1, 2012 1:45 AM in response to akmacix

Slightly different problem here: lion server, snowleopard client, one particular card gets duplicated multiple times across a few days. Sometimes the card to which this happens changes. Then cards are identical except for the last changed date (visible in slow leopard client). Multiple client computers log into the same account on the server to 'share' the addressbook data (failing delegation in Addressbook).

Mar 9, 2012 12:46 PM in response to eljonco

I seem to finaly have solved the problem. I suspect the following went wrong: I have updated a client computer to Lion being logged in as a network user and not the local admin. I have done a clean install on the client and also did a clean install and upgrade of the server. Now it works fine. I think that the original update corrupted something on the server. I think Apple should include a check for being user doing the upgrade.

Lion Addressbook client with Mac OS Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.