Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't work when VPN is connected

I use VPN to blog for a newspaper, from home. I don't access the company's internal mail system--I just use VPN to get through security and use wordpress on the in-house servers.

But when I connect with VPN, mail stops working (for gmail, verizon.net, hotmail). I otherwise have full access to the internet; I can get gmail through the web, for example. But since I use Mail extensively, I'd like to be able to have it and VPN active at the same time.

My current workaround is just to use VPN for posting, then I get out. But this is a big hassle. Is there a mail setting that I can change that will let it work while (Cisco) VPN is active?

(I'm a freelancer using my own iMac, so I get no tech support from work.)

iMac Alum 20", Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 3 GB / Macbook (2010), Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:23 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2011 12:29 PM in response to CTS

The "Send all traffic over VPN" setting can be overridden by the VPN endpoint. That is the way it is configured on our Cisco ASA 5510. We have that policy set to avoid the possibility of the remote computer becoming a bridge between the two networks for malware. You may want to contact the VPN administrator to see if they have any additional info on configuring the setting.

Mail won't work when VPN is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.