Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 Not Launching Homepage

I have read various discussions surrounding this issue but none of the suggested fixes have worked as there is no option to "restore windows when quitting".

I am still using Snow Leopard as I currently cannot upgrade to Lion as my memory isn't sufficient. Since dowloading Safari 5.1, whenever I launch the browser it opens with a blank window instead of my homepage - plus it's VERY hit and miss as to what page I'm actually going to get when I open a new window or tab - sometimes it's a blank page, sometimes it's a previous page.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how this issue can be resolved, or will I have to go back to using OS 10.6.7?

Many thanks in advance

Alan

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac 7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 6:48 AM

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Empty Cache.

Restart your Mac. Try Safari.

If that didn't help, check Safari / Preferences - Extensions. If you have any installed, turn that off, quit the relaunch Safari.

7 replies

Aug 11, 2011 5:42 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn and all: I have to disagree about emptying the Cache. I find all that does is make it a pain to use Safari once the problem is eventually fixed. (Bookmarks and cookies being gone and such.) I would do it LAST, only if nothing else works.

After trying your fix and deleting my Cache (which did NOT solve the issue), I set things right by deleting a couple of Safari preference files:

[USERHOME]/library/safari

[USERHOME]/library/preferences/com.apple.safari.plist

Good luck, all!

Safari 5.1 Not Launching Homepage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.