Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New System - No iLife Disks

Purchased my iMac on July 18th - about two days before Lion was available. I was able to download Lion, and everything installed ok. I was hoping to share my iLife 11 software with my wife''s Macbook. I went to the App Store - and it wasn't there, so I did a download (assuming things would work at the Mac App Store, like they do for iPhone purchases... (it would be free, since I already owned it)). Anyway - got a $15 charge for the iPhoto that I had installed onto my wife's Macbook. I opened a support request, and was told that the charges would be reversed. In fact - I was told "After reviewing the circumstances of your case, we determined that issuing you a refund for your unintentional purchase of "iPhoto" is an appropriate exception to the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions, which state that all sales are final." Yikes! I am glad they are making an exception this one time.

Fast forward to yesterday. I want to install other bits of the iLife suite onto my wife's Macbook. I don't see the titles listed in the App Store, and am not sure the best (safest) way to install these bits without gettig charged again.. So - I called support. "You don't get iLife free for the other systems, if it came preinstalled". What?? That isn't my understanding - not from what I have read on the forums. I asked, if the install disks that came with my system could be used? She said, sure- that will work. At this point, I am unsure what is legal to install on my other system, and if it is ok -- how best to go about installing the iLife 11 software? The install disks that came with my system are labeled "Mac OS X Install DVD" and "Applications Install DVD". Neither launch, showing me an option to do a partial (iLife) install??

Any help would be appreciated. Apple support was a lesson in frustration - as it felt as though I was being told whatever necessary, to close the call.

Thanks

j

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 11:48 AM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2011 12:18 PM in response to jdoolitt

I'm not sure what you read on the forums but the forums are user-to-user, not official information from Apple (unless someone posted a link to an Apple site that had official information).

The boxed version of iLife is a single-user license. There is also a "family pack" boxed version. The family pack is somewhat like the App Store; you are allowed to install it on more than one Mac. Note that nothing physically prevents you from installing the single-user version on more than one Mac, it is just not in accordance with the licensing terms.

I would assume the pre-installed iLife that came with your computer is licensed for a single-user. Maybe some of the paperwork with your computer has the license terms.

What do you mean by "will not launch"? I haven't bought a new Mac in a while but isn't there an "optional installs" or some other application on the one disc that you can click on?

Aug 2, 2011 4:24 PM in response to jdoolitt

Oops. It appears that a couple of things have happened here. 1) I posted this in the wrong forum. I will follow-up in the iLife section, or software area of the forums... 2) Many (most) of the folks replying to this thread are misinformed, or unaware of recent changes to Apple's policy regarding iLife, the new Mac App Store, and new systems. Thanks for the posts which seemed to imply I was somehow out to cheat Apple. I assure you - I am not. If the Apple Policy is to provide iLife license for all systems registered to a given Apple ID, if you purchase a new system - then I intend to take advantage of that... without any ping of guilt. Again - I am not out to cheat Apple out of money due to them, but get to the bottom of their latest policy. Really wanted my iLife suite to appear in the

<ugh>

http://www.macworld.com/article/161396/2011/07/new_mac_lion_ilife.html

</ugh>

Aug 2, 2011 4:31 PM in response to jdoolitt

I could be wrong but I think the new policy is that Lion can be installed on any computers you own or control, but not the rest of Apple's paid software. I'd be surprised if for example Aperture or Final Cut Pro (or any Apple software in the App Store other than Lion) would be allowed to be installed on more than one machine. Probably what you have heard new on forums is the part about Lion. But again I could be wrong.

New System - No iLife Disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.