Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook gives me 1st degree burn marks

Whenever I'm running games like, Counter Strike, World of Warcraft, Heroes of Newerth (AND GOOGLE CHROME!!) my computer gets overheated to a level where I get blisters on my fingers whenever I touch the back of my computer. SMCfancontrol doesn't matter, it still gets around 85-100*C with my fans running at 5000-6000RPM.

I can't tolerate this. I dont want to get more burnmarks from my macbook. Is there something I can do? Send my computer to the HQ and they will replace it with a new MBP?

Mac PRO 8-Core Nehalem & Macbook PRO 15" (late 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPad 16 GB, iPhone 4 16GB, iPod Classic (early 160GB)

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 12:40 PM

8 replies

Aug 2, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Jockehg

I had the same problem with my C2D 15" MBP... fortunately I had the good sense to take it off my lap before my skin got burned (and it was certainly hot enough to cause something that would qualify as a 1st degree burn). I bought one of those lapdesk / cooler contraptions and use that until I sold the MBP and replaced it with a 13" MBA. The MBA only gets "warm" at best.

Aug 2, 2011 1:48 PM in response to Topmounter

Keeping it on your lap is not recommended by manufacturers not only for the lack of ventilation that results but the Risk is potential fertility issues that can be generated by the heat in males. Believe it or not your sperm count is affected as well as other fertility issues by prolonged heat exposure.

Aug 22, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Jockehg

I know your pain,

I have gotten a burn from my 13 inch 2011 macbook pro. I had it on a fan cooling pad and was watching a show. I got SmcFancontrol on, and it said the temp was 207F and fan was running full blast i took a screenshot and I touched the back of the computer and burned my finger.

The people on the phone from apple support were helpful and asked me all these questions, and even called back to check on the problem after i took it to the store.

The Apple Store was not the most helpful. I was told by the Genius guy that the high tempereture was nothing to worry about and that the computer will shut down before it gets too hot at around 105C

When i asked them if the temp would affect the life of my computer, the guy told me that the computer would outdated and prolbly need to be replaced in a year or two anyway.

Apple wont replace your computer, they just tell you to buy a new one

My Macbook gives me 1st degree burn marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.